The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

Fuel problem... help!

About 2 months ago my LEFT side was startn to cutout, run rough, etc (but I ran it till it was about empty). So then I startn to run my right side more often... well I noticed the last 2 weeks my gas mileage went to crap and gas was leaking out of my LEFT FUEL TANK. Today I flipped back over to my LEFT side... and it was FULL! Is this actually possible that its siphoning from the RIGHT side to the LEFT side? Whats broke!? lol
Thanks,
Anthony
CLASSIC87' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
canadianc-10

Re: Fuel problem... help!

weird as it sounds my old 79 did that too. i knew pass side tank was empty and i only use the left side. went to fill both up once and the pass side tank was over half a tank.
canadianc-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

weird ill have to try this out on my truc see what happens. or see if i see a line going from one to the other.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Classic -
I would bet that your fuel valve is 'broke'. It's the common link between the left side and right side tanks. (Srubydo - A separate line shouldn't exist between the two tanks.) Phoenix had a similar problem 'bout a year ago: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=201901

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:23 AM   #5
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

Damn man... that link is almost word for word as too my problem- the valve will be coming out in a few days when im down ther doing the other things I have planned.
Thanks a bunch!
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
Classic -
I would bet that your fuel valve is 'broke'. It's the common link between the left side and right side tanks. (Srubydo - A separate line shouldn't exist between the two tanks.) Phoenix had a similar problem 'bout a year ago: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=201901
CLASSIC87' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
wolfewerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC87' View Post
Damn man... that link is almost word for word as too my problem- the valve will be coming out in a few days when im down ther doing the other things I have planned.
Thanks a bunch!
Anthony

I bet that your fuel return line is dumping gas back into your left tank even tho your pickup is sucking on your right tank.
It would be interesting to pull the line at the tank and start the truck and see how much gas is passin'.
wolfewerx is offline   Reply With Quote