The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Baby John

Adding a tach

Is it possible to add a tachometer to my standard guage cluster? Or do I have to replace the entire cluster?

I really don't want to do that since all my guages work fine including the lights and turn signal indicators.

Also, I'd want the factory look...not an aftermarket guage, unless there are aftermarket guages that are replicas of the original.

Also....what's the empty guage to the right of the steering column @ the bottom of the cluster? Tranny old temp?
Attached Images

Last edited by Baby John; 07-16-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Baby John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
KFreddy

Re: Adding a tach

The empty gauge is most for likely a vacuum gauge. Insofar as adding a factory tach, I think they max out at 5000 RPMS and they are readily available from many vendors online try ebay for a good price, LMC certainly has it with the harness. It will fit neatly and perfectly into the stock location however you will have to cut out a bit of the back of the metal behind the gauge panel to make space. There are a few FAQs pertaining to this installation, do a search, should make for an easy installation.

Good luck
Old 07-16-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
sameyrasmea72

You will also need a new tach lens and also a new circuit board. There should be a kit for sale that would do the swap.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
68Stepbed

The kit to install a factory tach sells for about $240-$270 depending on who you get it from. Check swap meets. Alot of guys are installing tachs with new bezels and reconditioned guages and selling them for about $300.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
71chevylowrider

Here's a tach dash for sale on the board here, it sounds like he even took the tach out of it, not sure if you can buy just the tach from him or not.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=248966
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The small opening to the inner right on the bottom, was never filled from the factory on the 10 - 30 series trucks. In the bigger trucks (C/40 and up) it could be an optional vacume guage, or, an air pressure guage that was included with air brakes.
Personally, I think the stock tach sucks, and isn't worth 10 bucks unless you are going for a correct restoration. Even new, they are slow, not acurate, and don't even go to a stock engine's redline. It's just something neat to look at and to fill up an empty hole.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote