The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
pritch

Key Switched alarm system-anyone else seen this?

My Panel has this key switch on the fender. At one time, it was hooked up to some kind of alarm. There are switches-like dome light switches-on every door and the hood. All the wires that are still hooked to these switches come to a point on the firewall just inside where the key switch is. Whatever was there that the wires hooked to is long gone. I always figured that it was some kind of aftermarket deal that a PO had put on, and I still believe that, but at our local car show Saturday there was a '67(?) Vette that had a similar switch. The guy said that it was factory, and his ignition key worked it. (Mine is keyed diferent) but it started me wondering if there was a factory alarm system availible.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
'68 longbed

Re: Key Switched alarm system-anyone else seen this?

could have been a homemade alarm. just make the key an on/off arming switch and the rest of the door switches could have simply engaged the horn.

simple, effective enough to scare somebody and cheap!
'68 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
matthufham

i saw that on a 72 vette... but have no clue what it does
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:57 AM   #4
rwgregory

That looks like a key switched alarm from the late 70's/early 80's. Back then all alarms were key switched. None of them were factory items that I recall.

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
rwgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
mrein3

You can use it if you have the right key. Buy a turn signal flasher and a relay and just wire it up like this:

Take 12V from your dome light when on and your under hood switch when open, and wire it to the control side of a relay.
Get a good 12V to the supply side of the relay.
Ground the relay.
Run the 12V out of the relay to a flasher.
Run the other side of the flasher to your horn.

When "armed" (fender key switch on), if somebody opens a door (dome light comes on) or the hood, your horn will "flash" or honk on and off until you turn the fender switch off.

It is a rude, crude, brute force way to protect your truck.

Oh. Then when you park it somewhere where you need to alarm it, leave the vent windows unlatched. That way when some low life gets in they won't break your wing vent to roll down the window. They will push the vent open, reach in and roll down the window, unlock the door, open it, and your horn will go crazy! You may have to use the garden hose to spray down the street after the thief you-know-whats on himself.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post

My Panel has this key switch on the fender. At one time, it was hooked up to some kind of alarm. There are switches-like dome light switches-on every door and the hood. All the wires that are still hooked to these switches come to a point on the firewall just inside where the key switch is. Whatever was there that the wires hooked to is long gone. I always figured that it was some kind of aftermarket deal that a PO had put on, and I still believe that, but at our local car show Saturday there was a '67(?) Vette that had a similar switch. The guy said that it was factory, and his ignition key worked it. (Mine is keyed diferent) but it started me wondering if there was a factory alarm system availible.
I've got a pretty nice system in an old van that I just bought. The guy who owned it was a machinist and like to tinker with stuff. There are three key activated switches that look like door locks and it is wired via a relay. It's pretty sophisticated..IMHO...but what do I know. He did provide me with a nice schematic of the entire system though. If you'd like a copy of it for reference, PM me and I'll mail one to you.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:10 AM   #7
Lugnutt

Yea, I put one of those add-on alarm systems on my 72 truck 25 years ago. It had a key switch just like yours and door switches like you discribe. Mine tied into two small controllers that looked like small horn relays or something and then hooked up to my horns. They also came with window decals. Mine haven't worked for a long time, but it does bring back memeories.
Lugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
pritch

Thanks for the imput! Maybe I'll talk to a locksmith and see if I can get a key to fit mine. I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to wire it all back up. Maybe with it's own conceled battery somewhere. Motorcycle battery, maybe.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:31 AM   #9
lbpd719
Zappaphile!

my favorite anti-theft device was an idea I stole from my Dad, who I am sure stole it from someone else..

Put a micro-lock on the front brake lines from a forklift (check valve with a small lever) then pump the brakes..

They can do whatever they want to the truck, but it will not be going anywhere without some serious help..
Old 07-20-2007, 02:04 AM   #10
xshadow

A few years back I remember seeing a setup for your breaks like idpd719 is talking about. where can you buy them from. If i remember right you press down the break and turn a key that locks your breaks......also maybe you can hook up the alarm to the breaks also so if somone steps on the breaks the horn will go off as well.....or if they take it out of park or presses the clutch...ect.
xshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:11 AM   #11
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

my grandfather had an 85 s10 blazer that had this kind of alarm from the dealer. The key on it was a barrel key like on the vending machines

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote