The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
jkade

Quik Question About Ball joints??????

My drop spindles are supposed to be in tomorrow for the disc swap on my 67. I ordered spindles for a 85 truck since the rotors and calipers I have are for that model. Can I put 85 balljoints in my 67 arms and keep them since they have new bushings and swap the steering parts out?
Thanks
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
rlm316

Re: Quik Question About Ball joints??????

Upper a-arms should bolt in, you will need the lower a-arms from the 73-87. Steering stops are different for drum spindles as compared to disc. Not sure the lower ball will fit the 67 a-arm. How much of the steering are you willing to replace?
rlm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlm316 View Post
Upper a-arms should bolt in, you will need the lower a-arms from the 73-87. Steering stops are different for drum spindles as compared to disc. Not sure the lower ball will fit the 67 a-arm. How much of the steering are you willing to replace?
I have all the steering from the donor truck but the PO had just rebuilt the frontend on the truck (the 67) so I would like to reuse my arms if I could instead of throwing money away on the 85 stuff. I called the parts store and upper and lower balljoints for both sides were only $75.73 I really only want to use the calipers, rotors, dust shields and steering from the donor.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
jkade

Also do I have to change brakes lines or can I make the 67's work some how?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

I'm pretty sure the brake lines are different. When I did my swap I also used the MC/booster from the donor so I had to swap the front brake lines altogether. The balljoints should be the same diameter between the two trucks, just different heighths. I went to the parts store and measured them beforehand with digital calipers and they were the same between my 68 and the 89 Burb I robbed my brake parts from. The problem you'll have is getting the tie rods from the 67 to work with your spindles, unless you've already found an adapter sleeve to mate your 67 inners to 85 outers. Hope this helps you some.

Last edited by dave2953; 07-17-2007 at 01:36 PM.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2953 View Post
I'm pretty sure the brake lines are different. When I did my swap I also used the MC/booster from the donor so I had to swap the front brake lines altogether. The balljoints should be the same diameter between the two trucks, just different heighths. I went to the parts store and measured them beforehand with digital calipers and they were the same between my 68 and the 89 Burb I robbed my brake parts from. The problem you'll have is getting the tie rods from the 67 to work with your spindles, unless you've already found an adapter sleeve to mate your 67 inners to 85 outers. Hope this helps you some.
I was hoping to use the steering from the 85???
Old 07-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
rlm316

You will need top change the master cylinder, prop valve, and the front lines. There is a buil;d thread on the disc swap. I re-routed the front lines on my truck like the '73-'87. I have some pics of what I did. I don't know how to post a link to my build thread, but it is under one of my posts. As far as the a-arms go, you should really change the lower to the disc donor style. I did the complete front crossmember swap from a '91 Suburban and upgraded the entire steering and suspension from the donor also. Much less confusion that way when it comes to changing/ replacing parts down the road.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
I was hoping to use the steering from the 85???
I guess it would help if I would read, huh?
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlm316 View Post
You will need top change the master cylinder, prop valve, and the front lines. There is a buil;d thread on the disc swap. I re-routed the front lines on my truck like the '73-'87. I have some pics of what I did. I don't know how to post a link to my build thread, but it is under one of my posts. As far as the a-arms go, you should really change the lower to the disc donor style. I did the complete front crossmember swap from a '91 Suburban and upgraded the entire steering and suspension from the donor also. Much less confusion that way when it comes to changing/ replacing parts down the road.
These parts are only going to be on the truck for a year or 2 and then it will be tore apart and will get full air ride with tubular and it will get big brakes also. I am trying to get by with the cheapest right now. I have the master, booster and porp valve from my 72 that I am going to use also.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
rlm316

Brake parts will work. You just need new lines from the valve to the wheels. Two years is a long time if yiu use the truck. For a couple of bucks it's worth the safety.