The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
my70chevyc10

Carrier bearing

I need to know if there is a correct way to mount a new carrier bearing or do i just bolt it up and drive away. Mine broke away from ithe top flat plate that the bolts mount to. The plate is still bolted to the truck but the bearing is hanging there broken. Any help
my70chevyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
jdhcth

Re: Carrier bearing

Replace it!!! Your driveshaft can vibrate and throw your U-joints. I had a new carrier bearing put on, the shaft balanced and new U-joints installed all for 100 bucks. Easily worth it.

JD
jdhcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
quickpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhcth View Post
I had a new carrier bearing put on,
I can't stress that enough. It's one of the few things I didn't do myself getting my truck back on the road (and I did alot). I talked to the guy who did it and he said I got my money's worth. There was a whole lot of cussin involved.

Michael
quickpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
my70chevyc10

Thanks im unemployed and doing this with as little money as possable. i just want to know if i need to jack up the rearend and start the truck and get the wheels rolling so the bearing centers it self then tighten all the bolts if not then i wont.
my70chevyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

If you have a welder, you can weld it back up on the cheap. I did that with mine and it's been holding strong for a year. I think that it is much stronger now than it was from the factory. They just plug weld them in like 6 spots. Not the strongest way to build something that will be subject to a lot of stress like that.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
HomerJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fleet View Post
If you have a welder, you can weld it back up on the cheap. I did that with mine and it's been holding strong for a year. I think that it is much stronger now than it was from the factory. They just plug weld them in like 6 spots. Not the strongest way to build something that will be subject to a lot of stress like that.

Had the exact same thing happen a few years back when I had my TH400 re-built. The carrier bearing did the same thing. The shop just welded it back up (the way the manufacturer should have).
Old 07-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
magsnubby

I found out real quick the stock carrier bearing housing is junk. You basically have 3 choices, have a one piece drive line built (shortys only), buy a big bucks aftermarket housing or reinforce the stock bracket. I took some flat stock (about 1/16"), heated it, formed it around the housing, tacked it every inch and called it good. I ran it that way for several years before i traded the truck. It's still on there to this day.
magsnubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
bud45

I've been keeping one on the shelf...seems like they last about a year or so on my '69 GMC. BUT, I have gotten some stainless steel hardware, drilled through the upper plate & the body of the piece that holds the bearing & bolted it all together. Seems like the welds rust & don't hold very long. BTW, I also paint the dickens out of it as well...this last one has lasted more than a year & still looks good....
bud45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
Vince M

I just replaced my tranny and went ahead and did the u-joints and carrier bearing at the same time. I bought a unit from Auto Zone and didn't like the way it looked (cheap). I ended up at a driveshop place, got a good unit from him and had the driveshafts balanced. The location of the u-joints on asembly is critical. Check the service manual for the correct way. Mine runs smoother than ever now.