The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
liljon285
That Guy

Problem with my radio

Hey everyone...i just got my truck running and i wanna work on the system now....a while back i had a pioneer but i switched it with my dad for the newer model of that same pioneer and i had pluggged it in and worked fine...now a few months later and a new engine i went to turn it on and at volume 1 it started making thois annoying screech...i checked al the wires everything is perfect. So then i got my dads radio(the old one i had...which by the way have the same plugs so no wiring was needed) and hooked it up to my truck and it works perfect but i hooked up the radio that does the screech to my dads truckj and it seems to work better than in my truck but yet the volume isnt working lol. Is the radio fryed?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
liljon285
That Guy

Re: Problem with my radio

By the way this is it(the one thats messed up)
Old 07-21-2007, 06:15 AM   #3
AceX
>130dB Moderator

There is a truck audio section a little ways futher down the forum list.

The screeching you are hearing could be many different things. What I would do is take a voltmeter and take measurements of the current flow on the old headunit vs the new one. That will help us diagnose what is going on.

If I had to guess, its probably a weak ground. Probably somewhere in the engine bay.

EDIT: Are you running an amplifier?

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.

Last edited by AceX; 07-21-2007 at 06:16 AM.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
liljon285
That Guy

To the radio no...the subs yes...but i noticed it before i hooked up the subs or the amp..so it kinda has nothing with the amp or subs.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
streetstar

They make trash cans for radios like that.

Unless you bought it at Wal Mart within 90 days-- then you can just go get a new one-lol
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
liljon285
That Guy

I doubt they make trash cans for brand new pioneer radios lol...i only heard it once then i had it off for months with the whole new engine thing now i got the engine in and everything is perfect yet the radio goes crazy. And i just had my amp go crazy on me now luckily i had another less wattage one so now im running my old radio which sounds aweomse with a lesser wattage amp which still sounds good i think ima leave it like that...but now i gotta buy my dad a radio lol.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
streetstar

send it back to Pioneer if its that new --- they might send you a new one --- or fix the problem with that one - either way might be a winner.

Have you run it on a bench yet though? Just take it out completely and hook some speakers up to it and run it with a jumper from a battery and ground
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
AceX
>130dB Moderator

If it's messing with the amp too, You've more than likely got a bad ground somewhere...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote