The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
rickf

panhard rod (aka track bar) and polyurethane

What's all the hoopla about polyurethane bushings for the suspension?
How is this stuff better than OEM?
What is the trade off?

My bushing are shot. I have not looked yet, but judging from the sound (when grabbing the bed rail and shaking back and forth) it is metal to metal, probably no rubber at all left.

The polyurethane suppliers seem to all state "outer shell not supplied, use original". My outer shells are probably pretty rough, if it really has been banging metal to metal. Do you suppose they would be good enough even if pretty rough?

Or should I just get OEM style rubber?
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Billla
Account Suspended

Re: panhard rod (aka track bar) and polyurethane

Poly allows significantly less deflection than rubber, which allows tighter control of suspension movement. Trade-off is typically a harsher ride and the need to keep them somewhat clean and lubricated. IMHO, not the right choice for a daily driver, but opinions will differ.

The bushings don't rotate in the shells so it shouldn't be a problem to reuse 'em unless they've delaminated. Getting new ones and pressing them in is a machine shop operation unless you have a press.

For a daily driver, I'd stick with the stock stuff unless you like tight handling and are willing to trade off some ride comfort. I've owned C3 Corvettes with both
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
rickf

Re: panhard rod (aka track bar) and polyurethane

Thanks Billla, that's exactly the info I was looking for.

My truck is a daily driver on and off, depending on mood. But first and foremost, my truck is a truck, it lives to haul me and the motorcycles to the track (or my friend's pile of yard debri to the dump, or ...).

I don't expect sporty car handling, and I'll take as much comfort as I can get. All I'm looking for in handling is to be reasonably stable. She's a bit of a fright at freeway speeds at the moment.

So OEM bushings it is for me, thanks for the confirmation.
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote