The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
beermunk

Gap at rear of oil pan?

I noticed a gap that seems to be leaking a bit of oil on the rear of my oil pan. It's not the pan itself, but where the back of the oil pan where the rest of the engine would be. When I get home later this week I can post a photo. Just wondering if anyone had experience with this and if there was a low cost solution for it. It looks like there was at one time a bead of sealant that has come undone.
beermunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
71tahoe

Re: Gap at rear of oil pan?

You didn't say which engine but every full gasket kit I get for a SB v8 has 2 different thickness rubber gaskets to go between the pan and the block front and back. I test fit to see which thickness to use and then run a bead of sealant. Someone may have used the thin one and filled the rest with sealant or the old seal may be deteriorating. Oil pan seals shouldn't be very expensive. (Intake seals are about $8 EDIT-- actuall closer to $10. found some for $12 at advance auto aka partsamerica.com) You can usually drop the oil pan without removing the motor depending on your setup. I remember doing a re-ring on a friend's 400 SB with it still in the truck.

Last edited by 71tahoe; 07-24-2007 at 05:04 PM.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
beermunk

Re: Gap at rear of oil pan?

sorry - it's a 307. thanks for the advice that sounds good. it leaks more after I just run it and I'd like to get it fixed. Also, i believe that I can get the pan out without taking out the engine.
beermunk is offline   Reply With Quote