The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
tavenner13

Good habits for young drivers to build (advice)

im 19 years old and i have two excellent trucks ('91 dodge ram for a dd and a '67 chevy for fun) and i have to say i have had a very lucky start so far. i want to always keep them in top shape to optimize their longevity but i always get dumbfounded when it comes to regular maintenance schedules. i hear "check your spark plus after x number of miles, cheange your oil every y number of miles, rotate your tires after z number of miles"...... WTF?? i know there is alot of knowledge on this board... so what have you all learned is best as far as preventative maintenance and record keeping habits? im sorry its a very broad topic so just start chiming in so i can try and soak some of it up... maybe hit some of the high points as well as what is commonly overlooked??

Last edited by tavenner13; 07-24-2007 at 05:13 PM.
tavenner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
chevyboy55

Re: Good habits for young drivers to build (advice)

In my opinion the #1 most important thing is fresh oil.I just use those little windshield stickers & do it every 3,000 miles.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Billla
Account Suspended

The factory service manual is your friend. Seriously - everything you need to check and when is all outlined there. Read through this and then write your own updated manual that lays out what you need to do and when...along with your own notes on the process (bolt sizes, filter P/Ns, etc.) You'll also add your own service notes; for example, on my '95 Impala SS it's a known issue that you need to flush the power steering once a year or so...it just doesn't survive well. I have this process and interval written in my service manual. I have my own service manual addendum for each of my cars with my notes, intervals and things I've learned.

As for record keeping - the most important thing is figuring out a way to keep things top of mind. People write down maintenance in a book and then put it away...and miss the next interval. The sticker for oil changes is a great idea - I also put on those stickers the date/miles for the next trans fluid change, etc. - and any major stuff that needs to be done. I also have a whiteboard in my garage with all the next date/milage for maint for each of my cars.

Finally, make a point to get underneath and around the car every 3-6 months...or at least once a year. Check hoses and belts, look for things that might be out of kilter. I've found a few things this way - just taking a broad look over the car. This also helps you get familiar with the systems so you can spot when things go wrong.

I hope this makes some sense
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy55 View Post
In my opinion the #1 most important thing is fresh oil.I just use those little windshield stickers & do it every 3,000 miles.
I agree with above. On these old trucks I wouldn't go too much more than that for an oil change. I know that on newer vehicles the recommended intervals are greater because of tighter tolerances, better metal alloys and better oils, but still the rule of thumb for most mechanics is 3000 miles to 3500 miles.

Because most of the gas used is unleaded these days, spark plugs will last longer than they used to-everything else being in good working order. I still check mine every 5,000 miles or so and won't let them go more than 7,000 on my truck.

Tire rotation is a personal preference. I don't do this on a regular basis. I basically look at the tires periodically and if they look slightly worn in front, I will rotate them.

Be aware that these days, they don't recommend tires with a lot of wear in the rear. Especially on trucks. More chance of sliding and losing control when the back wheels slide.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

on the oil change issue; I do mine at 1500 miles or when it starts looking brown. if you dont drive you non-roller liftered engine every day you NEED to look into some additive containing zinc.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
cdowns

clean and lubricate moving parts latches hinges wiper linkage throttle assy and carb linkages window regulators door locks vent windows parking brake cables vent doors are but a few of the things that come to mind// if it moves clean and lubricate it before it becomes a problem
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I agree that engine lubrication is a prime concern. If you, like me, don't drive it very much, the mileage issue or time issue may be moot. In listening to "Click and Clack, The Tappet Brothers" on NPR, it seems that they are saying the oil won't "wear out" by not being used. If it takes a year to drive it 1,000 miles AND it was driven long enough to be properly warmed up, then so be it.

Teaching kids about vehicles is also important. My oldest son was slow to accept that an oil pressure guage is not the same a gas guage, with him thinking that any reading was good and showed that it had "plenty" of oil. Caught it just in time. He also had to learn that you don't check transmission fluid with the same mindset that you use when checking engine oil. After draining the extra oil from the pan and finding that it didn't fix itself, then spending about $1400 on the rebuild, he has retained that bit of knowledge. He's driving a car with almost 200K miles and has kept it running. He's still learning but for his level of learning disabilities, he's doing good.

When I was pulling wrenches (okay, I worked for a Sears Auto Center) about 35 years ago, we were told that it took the equivalent of 11 miles of traffic to properly warm up an engine. That was to eliminate condensation from the oil, a key issue in the life of any engine.

I change mine on an annual basis, simply because it doesn't get driven very often. After the body and paint is done, I will drive it more often. But when I drive it, it ain't just for short trips.

Plugs? Haven't been changed in several years. HEI keeps the spark hot. Carb has been on it for 5 years....fuel filter for the same time. PCV? I think I changed it. Chassis lube is done at oil changes and in between....grease worms are mysterious creatures and must be kept fed.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 07-25-2007 at 12:15 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
truckdude239

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Because most of the gas used is unleaded these days, spark plugs will last longer than they used to-everything else being in good working order. I still check mine every 5,000 miles or so and won't let them go more than 7,000 on my truck.

Tire rotation is a personal preference. I don't do this on a regular basis. I basically look at the tires periodically and if they look slightly worn in front, I will rotate them.

Be aware that these days, they don't recommend tires with a lot of wear in the rear. Especially on trucks. More chance of sliding and losing control when the back wheels slide.
7,000 miles on plug a standard plug should go an easy 20-30k ,
as for tires rotations every 7500 miles, i use to work for sam's club int he tire and battery center we had people getting 100k mile on a set of cheap tires just because they rotated them every 7500 mile(about every other oil change), check oil and fluids once a week as well as checking tire pressure at same time. every oil change just go over look at tires, belts, hoses. Greece all fittings when you change the oil.spark plugs i change once a year

Tune up: plugs, wires, cap, and rotor button fuel filter air fillter replace these with every tune up

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube

Last edited by truckdude239; 07-25-2007 at 03:06 PM.
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

The most important thing for a young driver is to keep it between the ditches, away from other cars, and on all fours!

When I was 17 I forgot about 2 of the 3 above Cartwheeling your dads truck (86 Toyota) in a ditch isn't fun

If you can manage that, you'll have put enough time/miles on your ride to check all the great suggestions above
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 07-25-2007 at 01:59 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
7,000 miles on plug a standard plug should go an easy 20-30k ,
As I mentioned above in my quote "everything in good working order" they will last a long time. I check mine regularly because of slight oil burning due to worn valve guides. Everyone should know their own engine but still should check them periodically. My original owners manual recommended 12,000 mile intervals when new.

I guess if you can go 20k plus on an old engine that's doing great...
Old 07-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #11
Pyrotechnic

With synthetics I can maybe see going to 5000, but with conventional oils....no way. The EPA forced most of the wear inhibitors out of convetional oils. This is a death sentence for flat tappet cammed engines.

Without going to an off road race oil, the best to use is a diesel grade oil. These haven't yet been raped by the EPA so they are still very good to use and are available right of the shelf anywhere. Shell Rotella is a popular one. Problem is making the switch, if you have a used motor thats gunked up from standard oil over the years, then the high detergent levels will break all that up and clog your oil pump screen.

For daily driven stock motors I would use a good diesel grade oil, and for anything high performance I would use an off road only racing oil.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
truckdude239

68gmsee i was just saying not trying to start an arugment i miss read part of your post.

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
68gmsee i was just saying not trying to start an arugment i miss read part of your post.
Didn't take it as an argument. I understood what you were saying... I mainly wanted to clarify my statement and the reason I check mine so often.

I am almost to "old fartdom" ( ) and old habits are hard to break. lol
Old 07-26-2007, 01:44 AM   #14
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

[QUOTE=68C15;2278293if you dont drive you non-roller liftered engine every day you NEED to look into some additive containing zinc.[/QUOTE]

I use GM Camshaft and Lifter Lube for this reason.

Not to hijack, but is the Lucas addative good also?
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote