The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
wannabelow

horn not working

i have posted this in the elec section ples read i need help big time

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=251558

Last edited by wannabelow; 07-27-2007 at 10:55 PM.
wannabelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
Slick71

Re: horn not working

I've seen the bumper sticker a hundred times..."Horn not working....watch for finger" Sorry.....I couldn't resist!
Slick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Okay, it isn't working....completely covers everything from the button on the steering wheel all the way to the horn assembly.

Have you tried the horns by hooking them directly to a battery? Where the wire hooks onto it is positive. Frame of the horn is ground. Try that to see if the horn is good.

There is a relay. If it is good, you will hear it click when you push the horn button, if everything else is good. Oh, disconnect the horns if you want to hear it click.

If the horns don't work, and the relay didn't click, you have to assume that the problem is in getting a signal to the relay from the battery. Under the steering wheel is the goodies that make the horn work. If you have never had the steering wheel off and don't have access to a book or have someone who has experience with this, you will want to get some help. Doesn't mean you can't do it...just trying to give you a little advice. There is a spring-loaded contact, a contact ring and the wiring inside the column that all work together to make the horn honk, if the relay and the horns are good.

Find a manual. Haynes and Chilton are good. Factory is better.

Does this help?

Finger doesn't make any noise, and it makes others mad if you use it at inopportune times. But, it will make you feel better.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 07-27-2007 at 11:47 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:34 AM   #4
wannabelow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Okay, it isn't working....completely covers everything from the button on the steering wheel all the way to the horn assembly.

Have you tried the horns by hooking them directly to a battery? Where the wire hooks onto it is positive. Frame of the horn is ground. Try that to see if the horn is good.

There is a relay. If it is good, you will hear it click when you push the horn button, if everything else is good. Oh, disconnect the horns if you want to hear it click.

If the horns don't work, and the relay didn't click, you have to assume that the problem is in getting a signal to the relay from the battery. Under the steering wheel is the goodies that make the horn work. If you have never had the steering wheel off and don't have access to a book or have someone who has experience with this, you will want to get some help. Doesn't mean you can't do it...just trying to give you a little advice. There is a spring-loaded contact, a contact ring and the wiring inside the column that all work together to make the horn honk, if the relay and the horns are good.

Find a manual. Haynes and Chilton are good. Factory is better.

Does this help?

Finger doesn't make any noise, and it makes others mad if you use it at inopportune times. But, it will make you feel better.
i have done every thing short of re wireing ir completly

have the steering wheel off ran 12 back up from the half moon plug and i get power with a test light thoug it all.

if you click on the link every thing i have done is posted there i figured i would get more help over here from the 67-72 gods
wannabelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

posted on original thread...check ground strap in the steering column rag-joint.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote