The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

THE SAN JOSE GRAND PRIX WAS COOL...Anyone go ?

I just got in the door from watching the later part of the GP. I got there about 1:30-2:00.

It was pretty cool I thought...I missed the last two years.

My buddy Rich @ Goodies hooked me up with tickets.

I'm going to try and get there tommorow @ 7 or 8.....

Walked thru the "Blue-Tent"...checked out all the wrenchin going on.

I have to say my favorite was the DRIFTING TEAMS....that was sick.

Besides the imports, they had an older 5.0 with police lights on the roof, sound like it was wide open...drift'n like mad out there.

A lot of nice 'sights' out there.....(glad I left the wife at home...she wouldn't of like it anyway)....

John

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #2
six4flat

Re: THE SAN JOSE GRAND PRIX WAS COOL...Anyone go ?

im going to try to be there tomorrow. i never been yet so i hope its coo
six4flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
ClassicAutoResto
Rust Buster

This was a post on the Hotrodders bulletin board. It was about this thread topic so I thought you guys might take interest in it. Too far for me to go, sounds cool though....Jerry

San Jose Gran Prix, HOLY COW!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I took a half day off from work and took my son to the San Jose Gran Prix, that was one of the most exciting things I have ever witnessed.

Click here

A few weeks ago I posted about the NASCAR race I went to at Sears Point raceway. That was pretty cool, in comparison it was like going to RC car race at a shopping center parking lot. To be walking down a sidewalk where you have walked before and having cars going past about 25 feet away on the street at about 160 mph, now THAT is exciting!! HOLY COW, that was WILD!!!! Our seats were in the gold #2 grandstands right on the corner before the straightaway across from the pits. If you look at this photo of the pits, I have eaten at a resturant right there! That was a crazy part, the grand stands were sitting right on a parking lot where I have parked many times with the family to go to the theater. We walked right down the side walk with taxis and stuff driving by, but today, its a race track.

To see those 1200 lb 800hp cars come around that corner and accellerate down the straight was awsome. So stand on the straight and watch them go by was even more awsome! I have never experianced a racing event as exciting, not even close. Being so close to the action looking right into those guys faces as they came around that corner, all I can say is DAMN, to get paid to do that for a living, DAMN!

And then, the "drifting" show, I have to say, I didn't have much respect for these "racers" when I first saw this stuff a few years ago. My son and I were on an S turn right out of a corner and saw some AMAZING driving! These guys put on a show!!!!! The crowd was SCREAMING as they went by three abreast side by side in a drift! It was WILD!

Met some old co-workers of mine from S-W, getting free beer, watched my boy race slot cars while a live band was playing Rock-n-Roll across the room, and a scantly clad model was standing in the booth next to me, it was a GREAT day.

I HIGHLY recommend getting out there if you have a chance. Or of course if you are not near here, if a city street style race comes your way, GO FOR IT, it is truely intertaining.

Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by MARTINSR : Today at 10:01 AM.
ClassicAutoResto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #4
PrerunnerRob

Did they take the covering off the fences so if you didn't pay you can see the race?
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:20 AM   #5
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

I went again there again today I got there at about 7:15...I got home at about 7 pm. Man am I tired.

I was there all day, and watched all the events. My nephew spoke with an SJPD officer that was posted with a radar gun.

They were averaging 170-180 MPH...not bad for downtown San JO !!!

Those Champ cars revved extrememly hard and fast.....seemed like some of the drivers couldn't shift fast enough....out of the turns, the cars sounded like firework morters going off when they were hitting the rev limiters.......SO FRICK"N SICK !!!!!!!!

Couple of wrecks today, nothing too bad.....but todays drifting was even better than Saturday !!!!

They were sliding like mad.....four car at a time donuts was exciting to see !!!

Kinda gets me to try it in the Chief with my bias ply white walls

This was my first time being to any kind of race...and next year, if I can afford it, I'm getting grand stand seats for sure !!!!

John

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"