The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
CrashBob

Metric vs Unified threads

Guys,
Got a little issue that came up when trying to install my new wheels. The nuts are Metric and the studs are 1/2-20 UNF. Use the old nuts? No can do, the nuts for the new wheels are threaded on the outside to hold the nut covers which hold the center cover on.
I have thought of a couple of solutions: Drill and tap for helicoils or get metric studs and replace my old ones. The second fix sounds like a bunch of work and cost.
I will check the hardness of the nuts for machinability at work tomorrow and probably visit with one of the materials engineers to see if the helicoil idea is valid.
In the meantime, anybody have any similar experience or a "magic" fix?

Thanks,

Crashbob
CrashBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
john
member #16

Re: Metric vs Unified threads

They sell conversion nuts with 1/2" threads and outside threads for the caps. I have seen them on E BAY. Heres a link. Maybe they will sell in smaller quantities if you dont need 32 of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...mZ170133836920

Last edited by john; 07-29-2007 at 02:44 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
corn

Two options I think. You can buy the SAE double ended lugs or you can use standard chrome accorn lug nuts & bolt the caps on the wheels...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
CrashBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
They sell conversion nuts with 1/2" threads and outside threads for the caps. I have seen them on E BAY. Heres a link. Maybe they will sell in smaller quantities if you dont need 32 of them.
Thanks,
I stumbled across these a few minutes ago and will need 32. The pisser is that the nuts w/shipping will cost more than the whole wheel set. Dayum, if it ain't one thing, it's another!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
corn

If u inspect the caps a little you will notice that the small plugs will pop out & you can just screw the caps onto the wheels from the back. Then standard lugs will work fine. Now, before you look, the 5 & 6 lug are this way but Im not sure on the 8's...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
kwmech

So you got the whole wheel set for less than 50.00?

The nuts are a dorman number 611-159
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
CrashBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
So you got the whole wheel set for less than 50.00?
$50 for the steel wheels, beauty rings, center caps and nuts. Great deal but, with shipping the cost was more than double. Still a good deal 'cause everything is brand new and in excellent shape. The new nuts @ $54 kinda put the squeeze on. The wifey doesn't see it the way truck guys do. Anyhow, I was kind of anxious to get the wheels on the truck and the delay sucks. I still think I got my money's worth.
Wife and kids are flying off to her sister's place for two weeks so it's free time to work on the truck. I'll get the wheels finished and post some pix.....
Old 07-31-2007, 05:30 AM   #8
EROC

I went down to the local hubcap shop and bought mine. They had a drawer full of "takeoffs". I think I paid $1 apiece and no shipping. You could also try a tire store or the junkyard. I think 80's and early 90's astrovans and blazers had them in 1/2-20.
I ship UPS from 24153
EROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
CrashBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EROC View Post
I went down to the local hubcap shop and bought mine. They had a drawer full of "takeoffs". I think I paid $1 apiece and no shipping. You could also try a tire store or the junkyard. I think 80's and early 90's astrovans and blazers had them in 1/2-20.

Thanks, but out here in the boonies, there is no such thing as a dealer with anything in stock and the drive to civilization cost more than the $10.00 shipping. You can bet that after my son graduates (in 5 yrs), me and the missus are moving back to the big city.

CrashBob
Old 08-01-2007, 02:15 AM   #10
greenhorn male

Quote:
Originally Posted by EROC View Post
The plastic fake lugs will work but not the take off lugnuts as they will be metric. I also paid $50 plus shipping on my conversion for my gmc2500. But I used rear dually hubcaps as they were deeper to clear the D60 rear. I matched the front with dually hubcaps also, so it cost me a bit because I had to purchase 2 sets of dually hubcaps and just use the rears.