The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2002, 12:03 AM   #1
Castiron9
72 LONGHORN OWNER

squeeky steering wheel noise

67 C-10 Fleetside All stock....so far...........When I turn wheel it makes a squeeky noise ,,,,,,,,,,,,Have drenched it with wd-40 etc. but it is still there...any suggestions.do I need to pull wheel off?????And if I do will that be easy to do...Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks..........
Castiron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:07 AM   #2
HotRod929

Yea I have the same problem. Have no idea as to how to get rid of it. Kinda started to live with it i guess.

HotRod
Dana 60 w/ 4.10 gears AND Powr-Loc POSI
New Additions:
Summit Headers
135amp alternator
Proform HEI
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb
Sunpro Tach
Powr-Loc POSI
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
MSD 6A Ignition Box

AIM: HotRod929

Visit My Site: http://1970chevy.netfirms.com/
HotRod929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:19 AM   #3
Zkast
Account Suspended

What type of wheel do you have? If its a grant, check for the cover ring rubbing on the column housing.

Other things that will cause the noise is the Horn ring, I like to use die electric gel on the contact ring and horn plunger. It keeps the contact area from corroding and making noise.

Upper bearings could be dry or pitted.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:32 AM   #4
Castiron9
72 LONGHORN OWNER

squeeky steering wheel noise

Original wheel...and it seems that the noise is coming from just beyond the horn area...Have taken the horn cap off and all of that area is now lubricated...Thanks for the reply and will keep trying to find out a solution for it...Any and all suggestions will be checked out Thanks..........
Old 09-24-2002, 07:56 AM   #5
Woody

castiron9,

My 69 did this. It appeared to be the top steering colunm bearing. I greased it with some wheel bearing grease. It probably needed replaced, but I didn't want to at the time. Also it could be the shaft rubbing the side of the tube it runs in, due to a worn bearing. The grease helped mine.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:07 AM   #6
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Most steering wheel squeeks are caused by the horn brush rubbing the connector ring. Unfortunately the wheel has to be pulled to get at the connector ring to lube it, (the horn brush is removed from underneath the steering wheel, also).

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:21 AM   #7
Newby 69 GMC

If you are going to do any thing to the horn brush apply a VERY SMALL amount of graphite grease to the ring. And by very small I mean dip the very tip of your finger in the grease so that there is a spot of grease about 1/4" around or smaller and rub that around the ring. You should just be able to see that the ring looks a litlle grey but no obvious grease.

I work on electrical equipment for a living and greasing electrical components can cause problems if to much grease is used. Better to do add grease twice then clean up a mess.

Trevor

Also own

88 4X4 Toyota P/U
01 Toyota RAV 4
Newby 69 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:41 AM   #8
1967LWBstepside
'Heavy Metal' Redefined.

My 67 used to squeek too. I also found my perpetual short problem was in the steering column. I took the whole thing apart and installed a new turn signal cam & wire set (inside the column; ~$35) and she quit squeeking after that. So I'm not sure if it was a worn wire rubbing and making the squeek and the short or if it was the horn (don't think so) or part of the turn signal parts.

I have a vague recollection of an early squeek problem. Do your turn signals shut off after the turn is complete? One of mine didn't and when I opened her up the spring that the cam hits had broken or come loose and gotten lodged where it rubbed something metal during a turn. Seems like it squeeked then too.

Just some thoughts. I took the whole thing apart at least twice before everything worked.

Mike
1967 C10 LWB stepside, 250 engine, GM HEI, aftermarket A/C., Clifford Performance intake, Stovebolt split headers, Carter AFB 500, X-pipe & Dynomax Super Turbos, 1 piece custom driveshaft, cyprus bed wood & stainless bed strips.
Starkville, Mississippi | My Truck Page
1967LWBstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 11:07 AM   #9
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Just had this prob last month. After taking the wheel off many times, I finally sprayed WD-40 down the shaft and that cured it.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #10
COBALT

Both things that were mentioned can be the culprit. Usually when that steering column bearing goes out it makes a grinding noise or a moan when you turn the wheel not a squeak (at least that's what happened to me). That bearing is easy to replace, and easy to spot if the bearing is bad, because it will fill up your steering column with gray paste that gets all over the damn place!

Disassemble the top of the steering column down to the shifter (I don't remember if you have an automatic or not). Inspect and clean all the parts. Look for excessive wear. Order whatever parts you think you need (a combination of parts from LMC and Chevy Duty, or ask GMC Paul), and that should fix you right up. Lube any parts that rub together (using graphite grease on the horn cam will work, but you can use electrolite grease that won't short the horn out if you use too much), and pack the hell out of that top steering wheel bearing with some regular chasis grease. Put it back together!
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:40 PM   #11
Castiron9
72 LONGHORN OWNER

Squeeky steering wheel

Thanks to all for the advice..will try out some of the suggestions and let you know how it went..Really appreciate all the help,nice to know that there is all this help out there..Thanks again.. P.S. am sure that I will have more questions in the future as I am trying to get my 67 looking and running a little nicer...Thanks...
Old 09-24-2002, 05:43 PM   #12
Gordo

Unhappy

I live in New England and another cause of a squeaky/noisey steering column is from the cab settling from the rusted cab mounts. If you loosen the bolts that hold the column in place at the firewall and allow the column to realign between the cab and frame it may cure your problem. Hopefully this is not your case!
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote