The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
longhorn69

quick ratio steering box

i've got a 69 chev 3/4 ton. i'm wanting to get a quicker ratio stering box and am wondering what my options are. i've been told a mid 80's trans am box might work, but i'd like to know for sure. thanks!
longhorn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Re: quick ratio steering box

only truck boxes will work.

here is a thread about the quick-ratio ones.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ratio+steering

but if you use one from '79-'87 you will need to use one of these options for the metric/o-ring issue for stock hoses to fit.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242458

need more info??? just try a search.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

have some of the same questions.

This is an important piece of gear...and most folks have a hard time describing what it all means.

I simply want a stiffer/tighter feel to my steering. I am not too concerned with the amount of times I turn the wheel...that is what my palm is for. I am not racing anything with my K10 SWB...really hope to have a great looking very functional truck.

So what gives me that on a 35 yo truck...replace the steering gear box, pitman arm, drag links, and tiie rod ends...as I am guessing most are worn out...as they are wearable parts...correct?

Tim

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)

Last edited by timcos; 07-31-2007 at 11:53 PM.
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

timcos...all mentioned will wear out (don't have 4x4, so not sure of wear on drag link).
prob. the easiest way to check for wear would be to open the hood and try to turn the steering column and see what moves before you get a lot of resistance. if the steering box and linkage move without the weels, then i say check tierods etc. works real well for the box. My old manual one had about 1/3 of a turn of freeplay. then add the worn outer tie-rod and a worn balljoint on the same side. the prices aren't too bad for tie-rods (2wd that is) and adjusting sleeves might as well replace all if you start with one, esp. if they are all that old. since i put all new tie-rods, for like 6$ each for the adjusting sleeves, was not woth fighting all that rust to save them.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote