The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
snacob14

What methods are you using

to drill the holes correctly in the frame to mount slam RE7's in the original coil spot. What a freakin headache. I have one half way done, but it took me two freakin hours.
snacob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
pissonNOS

Re: What methods are you using

im assuming you mean in the rear because the front plates should have already been done. in the rear I went and bought a hole saw just big enough so i could get the fitting through, then just ised a good quality bit for the3 other 2 mounting holes. I think i had all 6 holes drilled in less than half hour
Old 08-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

I had the same problem drilling my holes for the bag port. The hole is a 1" size. I went through 2 Unibits. But I was drilling through the CPP bolt-in cnotch, the frame, and the stock backing plate. It was a total PITA.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissonNOS View Post
im assuming you mean in the rear because the front plates should have already been done. in the rear I went and bought a hole saw just big enough so i could get the fitting through, then just ised a good quality bit for the3 other 2 mounting holes. I think i had all 6 holes drilled in less than half hour
holesaw for the fitting hole.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
randomhero472

holesaw... or if you have the access/resources get your hands on a plasma cutter, you can rent them from equiment rental shops, you could have all 6 holes done in about 2 minutes..
Old 08-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
SCOTI

Carbide 'burring' bit & high quality drill bits. I used drill bits stepping up to 13/16" & then opened up the hole as needed w/the carbide burring bit. Took about 15mins ea. side.

Many suggest the hole saw method but I used one on a hole I was drilling on the top side of the shock crossmember. Standing above the work, soaking the hole w/cutting fluid, & being able to use most of my body for support, it still took 5~10mins of solid drilling (about 25mins stopping to limit heat soak on the bit) & this was only 1/8" thick single wall mild-steel. I can't imagine lying on your back, pushing up w/only your upper body for force, & trying to drill through almost 1" thick steel (frame + frame support + c-notch support + shock crossmember support).

The carbide burring bit made quick work of it. I bought an 8pc kit for about $150 but now I have them for other jobs (I could have just bought one bit for the job).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Frizzle Fry

Not all holesaws are created equally. Trust me on this one. But, there's more than one way to get er done.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Not all holesaws are created equally. Trust me on this one.
This was my assumption as well. At the time though, Home Depot was my only source for the hole saw so that's what I had to go with. After going through the BS I went through w/the holes I did on the top side..... I knew I had to seek an alternative method.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
randomhero472

You could also you a torch to punch a hole, then clean it up w/a uni bit and grinder
Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #10
pissonNOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Not all holesaws are created equally. Trust me on this one. But, there's more than one way to get er done.
definately going to have to agree on that I tried used ones then cheap ones then finally broke down and bought a good one and I was thru in no time