The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2002, 10:09 AM   #1
cheyenne10

Updated Feedback Needed On Repro Trim

I just read a post by a fellow board member and vendor who mentioned trouble with the reproduced lower side trim on the market. Has anyone else experienced installing this trim with good or bad stories? I know we had a good discussion a while back on reporduction 72 molded door panels and I think we came the a conclusion. I think this board and its memebers should pull some weight with the suppliers who in turn could pressure manufacturers with supply and demand if parts are good or lack of demand if parts do not fit correctly.

Please post your trim stories I need confirmation. I have several trucks and LIKE the factory trim. I could spend BIG bucks if it works well.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:33 PM   #2
tom hand
CCRider

I replaced every piece of trim on my 72. I think the repo stuff was perfect. I think out of the package you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between repo and NOS. I did not like some of the clips that came with the repo stuff, they were too small and hard to get to work properly, I cleaned and reused as many of the original clips as possible. [this was on the bottom trim] The 72 door panels sucked and took a lot of work to get on the truck with the woodgrain panels, tho once in place they look ok.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
Vince M

I've just replaced two of the long upper box trim and I must say that they look good.
I haven't replaced but did remount some used lower trim and bought some new adhesive clips for them and they were terrible. I returned them, bought some used clips and remounted the doublesided tape using 3M. They fit like original.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
cst69
Hollywood

Re: Updated Feedback Needed On Repro Trim

ttt, anyone care to respond with their side trim tips or nightmare installations with the repo trim?
1992 chevy ext. cab Project: leftovers
2003 Silverado ext. cab shortbed (my dad's truck R.I.P.)
1969 trans am clone, pro tour
1985 Yamaha Vmax, custom
1993 Yamaha Vmax, showbike
1969 Sears Suburban SS12 lawn tractor
cst69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Wow! You know how to find the old ones don't you...

I put all new trim on this truck and as stated in one of the above posts the only problem I had was with the new clips. I also cleaned up as many of the old metal and plastic ones as I could and used them. The new metal ones were too small and the plastic ones had too much bow in them and kept the tape pads from sticking. I used the 3M double sided tape with the red backing for the plastic clips. I think it's the best there is. The second picture compares a replacement metal clip with an original and the third picture compares a replacement plastic clip (on right) with an original (on left)... As you can see there is a lot of difference.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-01-2012 at 02:22 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Spoof

I thought the reproduction trim I bought six or seven years ago was a quality product and it still looks fantastic, uppers and lowers. Hasn't seen much weather tho.