The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
timzrides

1971 Cheyenne??

I have (had) well, still have some remaining pieces of from a 1971 Cheyenne. It was black with the woodgrain trim but no A/C. Could you guys help and tell we which truck of the 71-72 was the one above all others. What was the difference between a C-10 and my old Cheyenne? Was it the woodgrain because there wasn't many other options. Thanks, I'll be waiting.
timzrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
wibilly

Re: 1971 Cheyenne??

chyanne super was the top of the line,but i got one of them today that didn't even have air
Old 08-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
shaneschevys
Its always something!

I would think the wood grain would be the main difference. My grandfather had a cheyenne super with man steering & a 3spd trans. But it had all the other other "super" options.
67 GMC One Ton Flatbed
64 Short Fleetside
57 Chevy 2DR Hard Top
57 Chevy 2dr wagon
65 f*** short fleet
63 C 60 Flatbed

Member of the patina club

Last edited by shaneschevys; 08-04-2007 at 11:08 PM.
shaneschevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the option packages were nothing but trim. Guages were optional with the exception of on the cheyenne super, which IIRC, was a late 71 option.
You could get the cheyenne on a 250 inline/3 speed bench seet stepside truck with manual brakes, steering, non a/c, no radio.... these were all options on top of the package.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
eedgell
It's the air up here

So a Cheyenne could be a badge and some wood trim with little else, but a C-10 could have A/C, and a tach, ect..... if ordered with? Have to always check those options!

Never drink down stream of the herd!

Eric
eedgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

"Back in the day" when you(or the dealer) ordered a truck they had a sheet of options and you could check off what you wanted.There were lots of trucks that came optioned as the factory saw fit and sold fom the lot but you could actually order a 6 cyl 3 peed column shift with FM radio and power steering and brakes.The industry has evolved to what we get today,if you want power seats you have to get the luxury convienience package with power windows,seats,auto,AC,seat warmers, and 17 cupholders.If you don't want the rest of it you can't get the seats.
This is where the COPO dealers used the factory to build muscle cars, with heater delete,radio delete,and the biggest baddest performance driveline the factory offered in anything.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

yeah, what He said.

Today, the manufacturers have "packages" over which we have no options to vary the content. I don't think we can even buy a white vehicle with base engine and manual transmission without there being a basic package that also includes "stuff".

My 1969 Dealer Data Book let folks pick and choose, within the ranges set aside, the content and colors that were desired. I really liked doing that when Dad got a "Buyers Guide" for the '63 Fords...right after the 63 1/2 body changes came out. There were few limitations on engine/transmission combos. Thunderbird had a few. Unless there was a note that said N/A, it was available. Ditto for '69. I think the Japanese vehicles (Honda & Toyota) set the groundwork for the packages that are de rigeur for today's manufacturers.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote