The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
sb69chevy

Changing out ignition switch ?

How much of a PITA is this? Looks pretty much straightforward. Anything I need to be aware of before I tackle this? I think this has been my problem all along, thinking I had a battery drain.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: Changing out ignition switch ?

Very Easy - I just did it a week or so ago...I take it this is for your 69.

If you have the keys for the ignition it is even easier...

Here is what I did:

1. Put key in igntion
2. Turn key to accessory (left) position until it stops
3. Take a paperclip or a small allen wrench and fit it into the hole on the ignition key cylinder until you feel it depress something
4. Turn key (still in the ignition) and while pressing the paperclip item into the hole continue to turn the key to the left (counter clockwise)
5. At some point the paperclip/allen wrench will bind on something so you will need to eventually remove the pressure from that and continue turning until the ignition cylinder comes out.
6. **There is a trick to this part (getting the key cylinder out) as mine came right out, but others have a tough time with it**
7. Turn the ignition switch surround plate counter clockwise once the ignition key cylinder is removed.
8. You can remove it using a screwdriver and carefully tap it until it is loose enough to move by hand or you can make one using a piece of PVC pipe and some roll pins to create a tool that makes it safer for the piece and your dash.
9. Once you remove the surround from the dash - you can slide the ignition switch from under the dash and then remove the wiring harness connector from the back of it.
10. Replace the switch with the new ignition switch and then put it back together in the reverse order as above.

Not too bad at all.

Hope that helps.

If you hit a snag - PM me and I can help as needed.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
sb69chevy

Re: Changing out ignition switch ?

Yep, for the 69. Been having problems w/ it not turning over at times. Seems like if it does this, I have to put key in acc position then try to restart. Seems to solve the issue temporarily.

Thanks so much for the writeup on this. May have to take you up on the pm offer. Thanks again. sb