The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
pdxmac

Smog setup modification?

Hi all, I am planning my build up on my '86 C20 that I use for a DD, and work truck for pulling. It's currently got a 305 engine, which sucks btw. I have never had to deal with making the smog system work before as I am from Montana originally, and we just alway ripped all of that crap off the engine first thing. Since I live in Portland now, I have to keep it legal. What I am wondering is this. Is there a way to hook up the EGR system without the miles and miles of vacuum hoses, and with and edelbrock carb so that it will still function properly? I am planning on ditching the stock ignition in favor of a non ESC model, likely an MSD billet and 6A. I am considering an edelbrock performer crate engine, or the goodwrench 330 HP model. It's my work truck so it's a write-off ;-)

Any tips or pics would be great. Thanks in advance!

Aaron
pdxmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
pdxmac

Re: Smog setup modification?

P.S. I already upgraded the exhaust to a 3" from the Y-pipe back including a high flow 3" cat
Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Poopski

For you to use the egr on your 305 and use an edelbrock carb you have to buy the egr adapter from edelbrock for it to clear the carb. This was the situation when I put an edelbrock carb on my 305, but i just went ahead and made a block off plate cause I don't need that stuff.

-Nima
Poopski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:09 AM   #4
Poopski

As for the miles of tubing I have no helpful advice, but I found the adapter thing. Here's a link http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_34694_-1.
Poopski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
pdxmac

ok, thanks..
Old 08-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Pyrotechnic

Some areas are tougher than others. I know California is hardcore about the visual inspection. EVERYTHING must be there. They don't care if you pass the tail pipe test with flying colors. Hell they don't even care if you had the cleanest running truck in the world, they would fail it if some part of the stock emissions weren't there.

Of course other places just take a quick look under the hood to make sure everything looks ok, then they run the tail pipe test and if you pass, then you get your sticker.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 08-08-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote