The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
SixPack87

71 Cheyenne Value

I have a question regarding value. I bought a 71 Cheyenne long bed out of Arizona for $7600 (Ebay). The truck was described as "restored" with very little detail other than that. When it arrived, it was not restored. It has been painted a few times. It is fairly straight. They paited over a few minor dents. No rust which is good. Engine was rebuilt. The truck is all there but needs a lot of work. I guess I expected a lot more from a "restored" truck. Here is a list of things I did not expect to see:
- tail gate will not close
- steering very loose
- paint overspray on trim pieces
- electrical tape around the CD player to cover the gaps
- CD player hanging very loose in the dash (not properly braced)
- truck rattles and squeaks when driving (likely just old cab mounts)
- hood too close to cowl on the DS and has knocket paint off
- all the trim is there but has been secured with screws from the outside

I could go on. I guess in the end I just expected that a lot of these things would be fixed for the money I paid.

So here is the question...what is the generally accepted value of a truck needing some work as this one does, but being rust free? I know that there are a lot of folks on this site that have a lot of experience with these trucks so I am just looking for some educated opinions. Any help I can get I really appreciate.
SixPack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
72 Super

Re: 71 Cheyenne Value

Welcome to the board

its really hard to answer these type of questions without seeing the truck.Without seeing the truck I would in my opinion say its sounds like a $6000 range truck if it has factory AC and is rustfree.As I said this is just a opinion without know pictures or more details such as does it have AC?does it work?hows the interior?stock or custom?

were you aware of the problems before you bought it?

Ray

Last edited by 72 Super; 08-18-2007 at 04:12 PM.
72 Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
redneckgirl

Pics would definately be helpful.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
71swb4x4

It does sound like it may not be worth as much as you paid, but I think at this point you have a bad case of buyer's remorse. It sounds like it has some issues, but with a couple weekends of work you can probably whip it into shape. It sounds like it would make a great weekend driver.
The tailgate, steering, trim, CD player, cab mounts, etc can all be fixed. If the truck is pretty straight and rust free you are a lot of work ahead. I would rather buy a nice looking truck with some easy to fix other issues than have to cut and weld patch panels in.

On another note, the next time you want to buy at long distances, jump on the board and see if there is a board member close that would check the vehicle or item out for you.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

What you paid would be very cheap for a restored truck.Before computers we called it buying sight unseen and it was considered risky and most people avoided dealing in that way.It took something really special to lure a buyer "sight unseen".Now with computers and Ebay people are finding that a picture isn`t always worth a thousand words.A few pictures and a few lines of description and people are bidding away.But,some things never change.An old truck is just that and unless you can closely inspect,you really don`t know what you are buying.In an auction,you set the price and not the seller.You say there was little description other than "restored" and now you see it is not.That is enough basis to call it a dirty deal and,although it may be a hastle,if you`re not happy with it you could take legal action based on fraud.
The values vary and for the quality you describe it sounds like the price was high.I`ve bought a few unrestored trucks that were not said to be restored for that kind of money based on what they were and been very satisfied.But,they had alot going for them as an unrestored harder to find model & options.Like I said,if you got the truck that it sounds like you had expected,it would have been a steal at that price.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-19-2007 at 10:12 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Jcentsr6

I bought mine off ebay. I dont know if I got a good deal or not...but I am happy. There were a few things that I sould not see on the pictures but whatever...Ill learn soon enough. Go with what you got...it will work out.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
Premium72

if it was not as described on ebay take action and contact them. they will work with you in most cases. sounds like the seller lied to you about bieng restored.
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:23 PM   #8
azngosh8r

'restored' is a term that is used very often...if it was 'frame off restored' or 'rotisserie restored' then you would have a complaint. remember, you never get what you think you are getting unless you go and inspect the vehicle before you bid....all those 20 footer cars that dont look good when you get closer....those look perfect in a picture. I have bought 20 cars and trucks on ebay and always plan on doing lots of work when it comes to me to get it where i want it to be.....a word of support though.....i always make money when i sell them....it will look better than actual in a picture when you sell it also.

azngosh8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
SixPack87

Thanks for all the replys. I do feel a little better about the truck now. I still do not believe that I would call it restored. I also understand that $7600 would be a steal if the truck was truely restored. It's true that buying without seeing forst is realy difficult. I intended to have a friend of mone who was local to take a look at the truck first but it just didn't work out. Should have had it appraised...but honestly I would say that the truck is likely worth about what I paid. Some weatherstrip and bushings and repair of the oil leak and it will be a fun trucl to drive. It certainly gets a lot of rubber neckers. A little better descrition of condition and options (I will post some pics soon):

Interior is pretty good - seat is recently recovered, interior was painted when truck was painted last, carpet was replaced. Inst. cluster bezel is a replacement (chrome). However, I am not sure the gauges are working properly. I know the fuel gague is not working properly. Original tank behind the seat. Gauge sender has probably never been replaced.

Options:
Factory A/C (not sure if it works...I have not been able to make it work yet, I think there is an issue with the HVAC fan), bed side tool box, wood bed(although a previous owner had it covered with a spray-on bed liner which also coverd the top of the bed sides), color is hugger orange and white which is probably one of the most eye catching colors, rally wheels in nice condition.

Thanks again to everyone who offered some input. I really appreciate any information that I can get.

RC
Old 08-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
72armyswbtruck

Still waiting for those pics, Welcome to the board and I hope that you enjoy your truck.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngosh8r View Post
'restored' is a term that is used very often...if it was 'frame off restored' or 'rotisserie restored' then you would have a complaint. remember, you never get what you think you are getting unless you go and inspect the vehicle before you bid....all those 20 footer cars that dont look good when you get closer....those look perfect in a picture.
I strongly disagree.Restored is restored and it needs to stay that way.Not repainted or this rebuilt or that replaced or fixed.There are different extents of restored once you`re in that category,as mentioned.And,restored doesn`t necessarily mean good work,either.A vehicle that looks good in a picture or from a distance doen`t say a word about restoration.It`s just a good looking vehicle.Determining if there`s been a restore becomes obvious upon actual inspecting and I have no problem calling a seller out on his fibbery.Inspection will reveal the quality of restoration,for the most part.But,restored means some form of disassembly.If it was a clean low-mile survivor that just needed freshening up to look restored,that`s a great find.But,it ain`t restored.And,that`s good.But you can expect repairs down the road.A restored vehicle should have everything rebuilt or new...period.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-21-2007, 11:35 PM   #12
SixPack87

Sorry about the delay on the pics. I have provided a pic from the Ebay auction (I hope it is visible anyway). I will upload some pics of my own tomorrow evening.

RC
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #13
72highlander
Sophomore Member

sharp looking truck, good colors and eye appeal, don't think you got totally screwed. i gave 5k for mine all original that needed sprucing up, which sounds about like what you have. i've spent at least another $2500 on mine, but that's turned it into a really nice truck, but for $7600, you wouldn't be getting a completely detailed truck. you have something very solid to work with, and if you like the truck, that's what matters most. worst beating you can take is $7600, and if you go buy a new rig you almost lose that as soon as you drive off the lot.

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #14
dan42

Bottom line is if you're happy with the truck, then don't worry about what you paid. Most likely it will at least hold it's value.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 AM   #15
RyanG

Nice look truck.....don't worry about what you paid. As long as you are happy with it.You will be putting much more into it if you like messing with these trucks. I am sure

Last edited by RyanG; 08-22-2007 at 12:37 AM.
RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I can see where the pictures hooked ya.That hooked me.Another thing to consider...$7,600 the first bid and you weren`t the only one bidding.It got there because others were willing to pay what you were.I`m sure there`s at least a few disappointed losing bidders out there that feel it`s the one that got away.
What you pay is just the beginning with any older vehicle,even a prestine top notch restoration.The less you pay to buy,the more you`ll spend later)as a rule).
Ya done good,boy.

Tim