The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
chevroletrestoguy

rear axle codes

I found this code on my 65's rear axle tubes after sand blasting:

TDE 0305K-

The TDE part was kinda out of line with the rest. This code does not match my Protecto Plate code.

Any body got any clues how to decode this?
chevroletrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
wild one
Registered.........

Re: rear axle codes

This might help - http://www.americanclassic.com/paint.htm

Good luck,
Pete

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool!

Popcorn:
Pops at exactly 444 degreese
Expands to 44 times it's original size
Has a 4 year shelf life
wild one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
boot_smart

Thanks for the information on the codes, but I find myself still searching for a good codes site as my rear axle, as transmission along with the engine is not OEM.

Im running a small block 400 with a THM 400 tranny and supposed to be a 3:42 rear end on a short bed 68 C10. Short of taking the differential cover off and counting teeth. Im still looking.

I know the sbc 400 were made from 1970-1980, so its hard saying where this all came from. Soon as I can squeeze myself under the chassie and find the codes on lip of where the oil filter is.

Only numbers I've found on the axle are K307 and Con 1. No date on the axle tube. Cant even find the ones on the engine but Im pretty sure the 400's had 3 freeze plugs on the side of them. Might get lucky and it was a 71 or 72 as they were the only years the 4 bolt mains were made for the 400's.
boot_smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
boot_smart

Found some more numbers on the housing after scraping away 40 years if grime. GM 56 and NF 3896838 it could be NF 3896898 cant make it out on the second to last number whether its a 3 or 9.

I guess what made me look for all this is, I just bought the truck about 3 weeks ago and been tinkering with it ever since. On the way home from work I notice a burning smell like rubber or grease.

I get home and notice that smoke coming up from the drivers rear hub (5 lug) I get under it and notice that I have a semi wet spot from the axle to the bottom of the hub.

My first assumptions is that either its a brake cylinder or the axle seal. Haven't gotten to it yet but this week ends is a good time to start.

So the 71 K15 will have to wait on being sold and be used for transportation, till I get in there and see whats up. If anyone know of these numbers it would be a great help as Ive searched high and low for them on the net and just about every axle code site.

I guess your looking at my Join date and then my posts lol ya Im a looker been one for awhile since I bought the 71 GMC PU. I cant count the times Ive came to this site for information on these 67-72 Chevy/GMC Pickups. There's a lot of knowledge rolling around in these forums and a lot of it is to be learned. Thanks

Last edited by boot_smart; 08-22-2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Introduction
boot_smart is offline   Reply With Quote