The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
RedZ71

well... project abort/failure :(

my most recent project was to replace my front fenders with ones that i purchased from craigslist. one was original flawless (well, some aged-surface rust), one was repaired. mine are left-improperly repaired, and right-badly dented in the area behind the bumper.

so, i pulled everything off the front. not a difficurt thing to do...

and then set to installing my new fenders. the passenger side didnt fit worth a flip. %$@$#@!!! so i put the original (improperly repaired) fender back on. the driver side sliped right into place, but but after i started in all the bolts, there were 2-3 that didnt match up right, and the top main bolts (next to cowl cover) didnt want to snug the top of the fender all the way down to the cab.

i know im not a body man, but i was hoping these replacement parts might would have just mated right up. oh well.

my inner fenders are also really bad, so i ended up just going back with both of my original fenders. ill hold off until the day when i can properly restore the entire truck, and just do all new panels all the way around. i just need to hold myself back to bumpers|wiring|spraypaint for now.

*edit* i realize that some fitment work will likely always be necessary no matter if i put used or new parts on... i just figure in my head, with my goal for this truck, that effort will be better put to use on new parts.
www.z71silverado.com

Last edited by RedZ71; 08-19-2007 at 12:16 PM.
RedZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: well... project abort/failure :(

Red, you have to remember also that your truck has been tweaked(thus the damaged/improperly repaired parts you were replacing).The parts you bought were also from a truck that was scrapped(probably) or the owner would have kept them.Since both were probably bent then the stack up of improper tolerances also stacked up, making alignment a very unlikely happening without some work.Just food for thought on your problem.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Boog
laying low

Red. These trucks didn't fit together all that good when new either. And some tweaking is often necessary to get used parts and new parts to fit. New or used, I'd prefer a good used OEM part if it didn't need too much repair.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Also, remember that the factory used shims at almost every bolt. Get the bolts started, and the insert the shims to get the alignment right. Boog is 100% right in saying that they didn't align perfect when they were brand new, My Dad has been a bodyman since 1967 and said the same thing. The best you can hope for without modification is a close fit.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board

Last edited by centsless; 08-19-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: sp
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
ChevyDude

REDZ71....this happened to me...after my painter painted everything apart, without PRE FITTING anything. So I had $4000.00 dollars worth of painted parts and a cab. The painter and I went SOUTH on our agreement and he was FIRED. That left me the 25 year Tile Setter and the painted cab and parts. All I can say is...SHIMS, Patience, Ask Lots of questions, more Shims, Compromises, maybe even Hire a body Fitment guy for a few hours to come over and help you out (I Did)!!! You can do it. It is MUCH Tougher with Painted parts! I had to enlarge/elongate holes, ***** complain....but you can do it. Take a deep breathe and relize....it was never perfect from the factory on day one!!! Give it another shot Good Luck!!!

Alex

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
cstm68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDude View Post
REDZ71....this happened to me...after my painter painted everything apart, without PRE FITTING anything. So I had $4000.00 dollars worth of painted parts and a cab. The painter and I went SOUTH on our agreement and he was FIRED. That left me the 25 year Tile Setter and the painted cab and parts. All I can say is...SHIMS, Patience, Ask Lots of questions, more Shims, Compromises, maybe even Hire a body Fitment guy for a few hours to come over and help you out (I Did)!!! You can do it. It is MUCH Tougher with Painted parts! I had to enlarge/elongate holes, ***** complain....but you can do it. Take a deep breathe and relize....it was never perfect from the factory on day one!!! Give it another shot Good Luck!!!

Alex

your not using the original parts are you ?

i was planing on painting my truck in peices and as of right now everything lines up just about perfect on my truck. i am using all the original doors and fenders and an after market cowl hood and they have been removed and put back on with no problem.

so am i just lucky or is it beacuse i have original parts ?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
ChevyDude

If you are asking me if I used original parts...Yes and No. Rad support was original as were doors, and cowl....Fenders, inner fenders, and hood were Tri-Plus and or GoodMark. It's fine to paint in pieces...as long as PRE FIT has been completed and you know what it takes to shim and get it all lined up. Luck may have something to do with it....don't question why it lines up...just smile.

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

your plan of using new parts may bemore of a fitment headache than you think
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Sometimes with aftermarket parts, its luck of the draw. I have Goodmark branded doors, inner and outer front fenders, rad support, and a complete out-of-the-box short box. The doors and fenders didn't line up for sh!t at first, but after pulling them off and bolting the inners to them, they lined up with the doors almost perfectly with just a little shimming.

My first tailgate didn't line up at all either, and was kinda tweaked anyhow. But I bought a different new one and it fits real good. Just need to skim over the spot welds.

Just keep tweaking on it, it'll come around.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:25 AM   #10
RedZ71

thanks for the encouragement guys. im just so far ahead of myself, i have to keep remembering that im still in an apartment, and the 1 car garage im living in just wont cut it for the "proper" job this truck deserves.

all in good time, all in good time.
www.z71silverado.com
RedZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote