The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Purs
Got Big Block?

Modernized Classic Truck!

Trying to map out a budget for my current project and wanted to get some opinions from those of you that have been down this road before. I have a '69 K5 4x4 Blazer with the CST package that needs a total restore. It came as a auto with no A/C, scroll seat covers on the buckets and rear seat and side panels. No rust in the difficult areas that I've found yet.

Here's my goal for this project: to make a totally reliable, roadworthy vehicle that I can work and play in. No racing no car shows, just work and family cruising. For this particular project I'm not concerned about keeping everything original. My plans are for a modest 2.5"-3" lift with 33" tires on my 15" stock rally's.

My question to the experienced bunch is this, knowing that I want this thing to be bullet proof both engine and chassis wise, should I look for a newer suspension components to put under this truck? Obviously front disc brakes would be nice. I'm undecided on whether to try and locate a GenIII / 4L60 engine/tranny combo or not ($$) as the 350 that's in it seems to be in good working order. The Turbo 350 tranny will have to be rebuilt so an overdrive would be nice though...

As always, my budget is modest and I need to make every dollar count. Thanks for any input that will help make this project a success.

PS. To all the purists, I realize that I have 1 of 49xx blazers made etc... Unfortunately, this truck is what I found and what I have to work with. If it makes you feel better, when I'm finished, this truck will "look" mostly stock on the exterior. Hopefully, it will just drive like a new one. If you have a "less rare" blazer that you want to trade then let me know.

thanks!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
corn

Re: Modernized Classic Truck!

It doesnt sound to me like anything you want to do to it will ruin it in any way. I say go for it!...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
PS. To all the purists, I realize that I have 1 of 49xx blazers made etc... Unfortunately, this truck is what I found and what I have to work with. If it makes you feel better, when I'm finished, this truck will "look" mostly stock on the exterior. Hopefully, it will just drive like a new one. If you have a "less rare" blazer that you want to trade then let me know.

thanks!
First of all, it's your truck that you bought with your hard-earned money, so never apologize for doing with it what you want. Modernizing a classic is really the best way to keep them on the road, which in turn motivates other people to get themselves their own when they see nice examples riding around. I personally don't like the look of 20" - 22" rims and bags on these trucks, and I pretty much hate most radical body mods on them - BUT - I will never tell someone they shouldn't do it to their truck. I lot of people love it, and it motivates other people to build them. Every one of these trucks that is saved from the crusher is a victory in my opinion, no matter how much I hate the style or theme of how it was restored...
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
68,69 K20
They call me the Breeze...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
First of all, it's your truck that you bought with your hard-earned money, so never apologize for doing with it what you want. Modernizing a classic is really the best way to keep them on the road, which in turn motivates other people to get themselves their own when they see nice examples riding around. I personally don't like the look of 20" - 22" rims and bags on these trucks, and I pretty much hate most radical body mods on them - BUT - I will never tell someone they shouldn't do it to their truck. I lot of people love it, and it motivates other people to build them. Every one of these trucks that is saved from the crusher is a victory in my opinion, no matter how much I hate the style or theme of how it was restored...

69 K20

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy"....Ben Franklin
68,69 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
Musclerodz

Bang for buck, GM carb'd crate motor. The GenIII conversion is not cheap as it is not the cost of the motor that is the problem, it is everything else that has to done to make it work. Sound like you have a decent project. I also have a '69 CST K5. I started out doing what you are, but ended up getting a little more wild with mine as I can't leave anything alone. I now have a LT1/4L80/205 going in it, 3.73 Posi front and rear, 4" custom shackle flip out back, 2.5 lift springs up front, ORD greasable bushings, custom install '03 Burb 13" disc brakes front and rear, 18x10 wheels, 33" M/T tires. Body repair starting after Labor day and will be painted a pearl blue with white top.

Mike