The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
scejmer

door problems

i am going to weld in the new rockerboxes in the nexts couple days. it still seems to me that door pillar has movement. if the rockerboxes dont fix the problem i was thinking of comming of the roll bar with support to windsheid frame. basically use the hard top mounting bolts, fabricate off rollbar to window frame to stiffen door pillars. anyone else had issues like this.thanks alot.
scejmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Re: door problems

The door pillars wobble a bit, it's just the way they were built. Excessive movement may be a sign of rust. You should probably check that before you go too far with any other "fixes".

Also, check your body mounts before you start welding in a cage and possibly before putting in the rocker boxes (to give you more working space.) I think most guys put the hard top back on before putting in new body mounts to make sure everything is squared-up.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L

Last edited by bouncytruck; 08-20-2007 at 03:16 PM.
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scejmer View Post
i am going to weld in the new rockerboxes in the nexts couple days. it still seems to me that door pillar has movement. if the rockerboxes dont fix the problem i was thinking of comming of the roll bar with support to windsheid frame. basically use the hard top mounting bolts, fabricate off rollbar to window frame to stiffen door pillars. anyone else had issues like this.thanks alot.
Don't know how your cage is tied in or how you use your blazer but the stresses that high up on the windshield frame are huge, same thing can be accomplished down low on the firewall where shattering the glass won't be a concern.

Post some pics and explain in further detail what your working with and we'll walk ya through it.

Is your blazer a nice blazer or a trail use blazer, that will make a big difference in the answer/fix.

Welcome to the board BTW.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
scejmer

nice looking trucks you have there, my blazer is pavement pounder with the exception of possibly the sand dunes.the new rocker boxes are fitted but not welded in. i had a buddy flexing the door pillar area trying to see where the little bit of movement is with no luck as of yet. again i havent welded in the new boxes yet, and was wondering how much the will tie things together. the only reason i thought of comming off window frame was things i have heard about other members saying about doors having movement with the tops off. thought i mite be on to something. its not like the doors are swinging in the wind, just that on uneven ground doors drag and stick. and as far as posting pics, wife camera hit the wall at a high rate of speed recently after it let me down for the last time, i am currrently try to pic up another or burrow one till i get a new one. but please if you have any ideas or pics of repairs please post them. thanks scott.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Most of the binding I've seen with the top off is in the "B" pillar. The rocker boxes and body mounts will fix most of those issues, but the rigs are designed to flex a certain amount. Parking the truck with the suspension twisted will most likely cause binding issues with the top off. Since your rig is a pavement pounder, I'd just fix the rocker boxes and drive it for a while. See if you have any issues that need addressing and make a plan from there.

At least one board member created some "B" Pillar braces. I haven't found a need, but my truck only sees rough pavement.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
scejmer

think i might do that, i could always add more bracing at a latter date. i see how rigid welding in the rockerboxe s will make it also. agin thanks for any and all information.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
jaros44sr

What kind of condition are your hinges in? Maybe time for a rebuild?

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncytruck View Post
. Parking the truck with the suspension twisted will most likely cause binding issues with the top off.
even with the top on they flex a lot.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
jhow66

Quote:
Originally Posted by scejmer View Post
Like this:
Attached Images

jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #10
jhow66

Couple more:
Attached Images

jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote