The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
rick0312

Cleaning a short block?

I am going to pull my engine and do a cleanup/reseal. i have good compression in all cylinders and I am trying to stay away from disassembling the block. any tricks or tips on how to clean the inside of the block without removing the crank,cam and pistons?

Thanks
Rick
rick0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
BurnoutNova

Re: Cleaning a short block?

wipe everything down that you can, and i havnt ever personally seen the results (never seen the inside of a motor before, and then after)... but ive heard good things about using BG quickclean. im not sure how familiar you are with it, or if its available where you are, but we use alot of at work. im sure its like all the other stuff like seafoam, ect.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
racerman85

What we've done is run ATF straight into the carb. (I think its ATF, im pretty tired and i'll ask) It will smoke like crazy and can destroy the cat (if your running one). We ran about a 1/2 quart through my 95 ranger and it cleaned the inside up like new. One of the guys in the area that builds motors for race cars did this and then tore the engine apart and said it looked like new inside.

We have done this on my ranger, a 91 RX-7, and a couple other cars with the same result.
racerman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
Billla
Account Suspended

I can't imagine why you'd do this - to what benefit?

I've used the 1/2 qt of ATF in the oil as a solvent as well with good results, but only prior to an overhaul.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
manimal

The ATF through the carb is for the combustion chambers and tops of pistons,water into the carb while running has the same effect with out the smoke-creates an internal steam cleaner. The internals can be done the same by pouring in ATF with the oil and run it. The atf has a very high detergent level and will help to clean it. I have also heard of people putting DIESEL into the crankcase and using a primer to pump it through the engine for several minutes,then draining filling with CHEAP oil,pumping it through to get rid of the DIESEL,drain and repeat. Then fill with the oil you will be using. DO NOT run with DIESEL in crankcase.
-Lance
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
I've used the 1/2 qt of ATF in the oil as a solvent as well with good results, but only prior to an overhaul.

ive done this before to clean out ticking lifters. worked pretty good for me, i had a 69 k20 that had been sitting for several years before i got it. ran the atf through for about 200 miles and then changed my oil, it was perfect after that
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
Myself

While the motor is out, unbolt the oil pan and clean out the gunk. Bolt it back up with a nice one piece silicone gasket, no more seepage. Unbolt the intake, and wipe the gunk out of the lifter valley. Bolt it back on with new gaskets. When you put the engine back in fill it with cheap oil and a bottle of sea foam. Run it for about 50 miles then drain out the remainder of the gunk. Now you have nice clean guts!
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
BCOWANWHEELS

Amsoil Makes A Engine Cleaner But Dont Drive With It In Your Engine And Install A Good New Oil Filter B4 You Put Cleaner In Crankcase. Instructions On Bottle. Follow Em.
Your Engine Shouldnt Be Bad Inside If You,ve Been Changing Your Oil Like You Supposed To.......
Bob
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
beautimus

if you clean your motor, the way you are suggesting, and you are gonna reseal this motor, it would be a good idea to clean or replace your oil pump pick up, but only if your gonna pull the engine and put it back.(rear main seal and pan gasket) the only reason i say this is i cleaned a pretty gummy small block once with a product called motor flush. (mostly kerosene in a can).
the junk that came loose eveywhere ended up in the oil pump pick up and clogged the screen, and basically the engine starved for oil and didn't last long after i cleaned it out. maybe 2 or 3 thousand miles. the good news was the engine was really really clean at tear down
not to discourage you or anything but its a possibility you may wish to keep in mind. Tony
Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The biggest problem with cleaning the engine the ways described above is that the gunk comes loose and goes thru the engine,if you're lucky.If not it sticks somewhere bad.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
The biggest problem with cleaning the engine the ways described above is that the gunk comes loose and goes thru the engine,if you're lucky.If not it sticks somewhere bad.
Yeah, that was my confusion about why you'd do this - it's more likely to cause problems than anything else...
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #12
BCOWANWHEELS

Just Run A Hi-detergent Engine Oil And Change It Often For A Few Oil Changes. I,ve Found Synthetic Oil Cleans Up Engines Good.
Bob
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #13
72armyswbtruck

I would have to agree with this recommendation. Run a high detergent oil thru for a couple of thousand miles and then drain. Helps to clean up internals.