The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Mertz

Auto trans shift lever adjust

I have a 72 Chevy 3/4 ton with 350/350. The transmission was just rebuilt by a very reliable person. I am having problems with the shift lever on the column staying in place. I tried to make some adjustments but it will be in reverse and show N and drive shows low. If I move it up in drive I can get it to hold there. There was a time when it won't hold there either. I check my manual but I am still not clear on what to do to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
sb69chevy

Re: Auto trans shift lever adjust

Welcome from Springfield, MO!!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! With the shifter rod disconnected from the tranny can you move the linkage on the tranny? Does it feel like each gear is distinct and takes a little (not a whole lot) of effort to go from one to the next? If so put the linkage back to the park position, put your shifter in park and with the clamp nut loose and reconnect the linkage. snug up the clamp bolt on the rod and try it. If it's still loose you can check your linkage on the frame for slop, if the holes are wallowed out try using some copper tubing of the right size to shim them back tight. If that doesn't do it I'm not gonna be any help.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Mertz

Ok here is the stupid question. Where is the clamp bolt? As i recall from my last attempt the transmission when shifted by the lever at the transmission does as you say. Distinct indents with some pressure to move. I can't remember exactly but once I got to a certain gear I couldn't move it without the lever. I have loosened the "clamp ring" bolts and tried making an adjustment per my manual but that did not help. There are 2 metal flat rings that bolt to the steering column. One above and one below the shift lever. I had a stripped bolt on one of the upper ones and replaced it. At first I used too long a bolt and could not shift at all. Installed a shorter bolt and it approve a little.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
gonline71

I wish I had a better pick....the adjustment is located within the "red" circle on the attached pic. Specifically the black rod. It comes up through a sleeve and attachs to your steering column. Put the transmission in park, loosed the nut(sleeve), and move the rod as far up as possible. Then try to shift using the column. Hope this helps....only pic I have with me at work.

Name:  shift_linkage.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  69.8 KB
gonline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
Mertz

Sorry but I don't see the red circle on the pic.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

Look by the top of the oil dipstick tube.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 08-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Mertz

I found the circle but this is not the same set up as mine. The shift lever is farther down the column. I will take a picture of it this evening and send it.

My truck is a 72 3/4 ton factory A/C, power steering and brakes with disc up front. I am not an expert but yours looks older. The steering column on mine much different. There is a tube that goes much farther down the steering shaft.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
krue
Designated A-hole!

They used the same steering columns on all these trucks with some small differences. The only major differences would be tilt vs non tilt and maybe using a modified manual column.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 08-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Here is a better breakdown of linkage
Attached Images

sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
Mertz

Yes, that is what it looks like except there is another plate behind the shift lever on the column that hold the lever in place. A bump for park and a slot for neutral and drive. What are the rings on the picture on the lower left for? The ones on top and below the shift lever.

I assume the adjustment we are talking about is in the threaded piece on the rod. I will give it a try this evening and let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Mertz; 08-27-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
Mertz

I adjusted the linkage and finally got it to hold in R and N but then park is reverse unless I go all the way to the left and back again. I readjusted so D is D and R and N drop about half way. At least now I can't start the truck in R. It was that when I was in R and the lever was on N it could start in reverse. Still not the best but closer. I suppose if I continue to make small adjustment I can get it right.

Thanks all for your help. I am new to this forum and found it to be well done and get good answers. I have been using hotrodders.com which is also a very good site but this site is more specific to what I need for my truck.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #13
71tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertz View Post
Yes, that is what it looks like except there is another plate behind the shift lever on the column that hold the lever in place. A bump for park and a slot for neutral and drive. What are the rings on the picture on the lower left for? The ones on top and below the shift lever.

I assume the adjustment we are talking about is in the threaded piece on the rod. I will give it a try this evening and let you know how it goes.
I have 2 complete stock linkages and no part of any of them have any threads. What is threaded and how worn are the parts that bolt to the transmission and frame?
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
Mertz

My mistake. I have some cars that you make adjustment by turning the connector on the treaded rod and hold it in with a cotter pin. This has a nut you tighten to hold it in place.

I talked to the guy who rebuilt my transmission and he told me that the bolt on the other end of the shift rod in the trans could have come loose and is causing the play in the linkage. He says this is a common problem. The fix is simple. Remove the pan and filter and tighten the bolt. I might have time to try it this weekend and will let the forum know what I find.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #15
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

not to be a pain... but isn't that his job? Unless it was a buddy job, I would take it to him if he rebuilt it, and esp if he installed it in the truck.
I've never heard a tranny guy say thatwas common, in all the trannys I've done professionaly over the last 15 or so years, I've never seen that happen, not even once.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #16
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #17
Mertz

To be fair he did offer to do it. The trouble is that I live about 30 miles from his shop and I would have to leave it and get a ride back so I thought it would easier if I did it myself.

I am not an automatic trans expert and all he does is 350s and 400s so I trust him.

Do you guys agree that even though it might not happen often that it could be the problem with the shifter?

Last edited by Mertz; 08-30-2007 at 10:51 AM.