The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
bryanw1968

Front cab supports......

Both the front left and right cab supports are rusted badly and need to be replaced. I bought a new set but have questions before I start.

How hard is it to get the old one out? I see that there is a big ass bolt going from the floorboard through the rubber mount holding it on. What am I up against? I have some crappy pictures of the condition of the current ones. Any help would be much appreicated.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: Front cab supports......

The big bolt has to come out. If the cab is still on the truck it makes it a little harder but they are still a pain. Of course a plasma cutter is the easiest way to cut them out. Its really a no Brainer. You remove the bolts at the pillar i generally just start hacking away at the rest kind of willy nilly until they are gone. I don't have a pretty way to get them out.

To put the new ones in you have to bend the tabs on the inside 90 degrees to match up to the brace the old one came off of. I bolt the new one back onto the rocker and put the mounting bolt back in without the cab support and weld the two tabs back on. Then put the rubber mounts back on. They are a pain in the rr. I would find a guy and act dumb like you have know idea how to do it and let them brag and do it for you. Thats generally how i end up doing the dirty work.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
bryanw1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
The big bolt has to come out. If the cab is still on the truck it makes it a little harder but they are still a pain. Of course a plasma cutter is the easiest way to cut them out. Its really a no Brainer. You remove the bolts at the pillar i generally just start hacking away at the rest kind of willy nilly until they are gone. I don't have a pretty way to get them out.

To put the new ones in you have to bend the tabs on the inside 90 degrees to match up to the brace the old one came off of. I bolt the new one back onto the rocker and put the mounting bolt back in without the cab support and weld the two tabs back on. Then put the rubber mounts back on. They are a pain in the rr. I would find a guy and act dumb like you have know idea how to do it and let them brag and do it for you. Thats generally how i end up doing the dirty work.
How far is Webster and what are you doing this w/e?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
mbgmike

Nice Try. We are South of Houston and south of South Houston on Hwy 3. We are booked up thru September with body and brake work. If Your close you can come by and we can show you what to do and you can use our tools.

Mike
Old 08-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
raggedjim

Not to discourage you but I learned some new cuss-words doing mine... after spending 12 years in the navy.

There's really no easy way, you just have to knuckle down and be ready to skin those knuckles and have grinder sparks going down your shirt.

Once it's done be sure to tell everyone how easy it was, misery loves company! Plus it's a heck of a feeling looking under there and not seeing the skeletons that used to be there...

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
bryanw1968

Quote:
Nice Try. We are South of Houston and south of South Houston on Hwy 3. We are booked up thru September with body and brake work. If Your close you can come by and we can show you what to do and you can use our tools.

Mike
LOL!!!!!!

I'm in Austin but Mmy brother lives in Dickinson right near you. I'll probably be passing through soon. He lives on 646 or 146, something like that. I'll PM ya.

Also, I noticed that the replacement cab support doesn't have holes to mount to the rocker is that why you weld them?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
71tahoe

Quote:
I would find a guy and act dumb like you have know idea how to do it and let them brag and do it for you. Thats generally how i end up doing the dirty work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanw1968 View Post
How far is Webster and what are you doing this w/e?
Quote:
Nice Try. ...
Mike
You know you opened yourself up for that one
I have to do the same thing but fortunately the cab's already off. Were all the bolts welded to the cab floor? I have 2 parts cabs that didn't have the bolts welded but maybe someone already changed the mounts.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
bryanw1968

There is a big booger weld on the bolt on the floorboard. I think it might be time for me to visit my friend with the plasma cutter :-)
Old 08-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
mbgmike

I have never seen any where the body bolts are welded.
I was mistaken when i spoke of the bolts at the rocker. They brace is welded on there. I was still in the 65 c10 year mind. they have bolts.
This is also best if done in January or February if done outside. Its hotter than you know what.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #10
bryanw1968

Quote:
I have never seen any where the body bolts are welded.
I was mistaken when i spoke of the bolts at the rocker. They brace is welded on there. I was still in the 65 c10 year mind. they have bolts.
This is also best if done in January or February if done outside. Its hotter than you know what.
Yah it's welded on the bolt on the inside of the cab. The good news is that the weld has broken loose. I thin I'm going to plasma it off at my buddies and install new bolts and bushings while I'm in there. I'd still like to swing by your shop and check it out though. Might even be this w/e.
Bryan
Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #11
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanw1968 View Post
Also, I noticed that the replacement cab support doesn't have holes to mount to the rocker is that why you weld them?
I always drill new holes and bolt them (I assume you are talking about the 4 bolts that hold the fender ear, cab support, floor and a-pillar together ) so it is the way the factory did it. I have seen them welded in before, but I think you're better off bolting them.
The cab support gets rosette welds to the floor and some welds at the ears on the cross brace.

Is your floor good? It is usually easier to cut the floor out in that area. If the floor is good you can drill out all of the spot welds. The problem comes in at the cross support area.

Every truck I have ever had had the support bolts welded in (big ole booger weld)

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
mbgmike

Maybe they were welded for assembly reasons. I just never have seen one. It sure does make the mount replacement a pain. It may have been a plant preference.