The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

rodstored-72's ac install thread

ok guys here it is for you to check out & comment on (mods if this needs to be moved please do so) sorry if in the wrong place.

Ok guys here is my first try at a build thread. Well it is just my ac install anyways; the truck will have to wait until I have a lot of time!! Anyways here it goes. The ac kit I bought is the vintage air “universal” compact gen II model with the standard black 4 lever controller. I bought the condenser that is sized for the truck & then the std. black dryer as well. All the parts so far are from so-cal here in phoenix. I am not sure what I am going to do for the vents yet though I am looking into billet specialties or maybe some from v.a I am not sure yet. Well on with the build. I first mounted the cond. In front of the radi. I had to think about this for a little bit. I ended up using the “left over” brackets from my e-fan install. I bent the “forked” brackets into an “s” shape to catch the bolts from the hood release at the top & then the other leg attaches to the condenser. I think there is around 1 inch or so of a distance in the gap. I then fabbed up some brackets from 1/8”x3/4” steel strapping. Those I just made straight & attached to the condenser & holes that I drilled out in the core support. The core support has “dimples” where you can drill them out. I used the screw size that came with the condenser & just got longer ones to go through the brackets. After fighting with that & mounting it by myself I then tackled the dryer. It was a pretty simple & straight forward install. I decided to put it above the pass. Side bumper brackets & just right & below of the pass. Side headlight. I chose that spot because I did not want to “block the condens. and radi. I also wanted it to be fairly hidden & protected. It was mounted using 1 of the 2 round clamps (brackets) that came with it. I drilled & tapped a hole that also was a “dimple” & then just bolted it right up. Even for me that was pretty simple! here are some pics.
Attached Images

rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Re: rodstored-72's ac install thread

Well now for the more complicated stuff… for me anyways. I mounted the evap. By trying to “tuck” it up & as far back against the firewall I could. I tried to use the brackets that came with the kit, but to me they seemed just too flimsy & really did not fit to the truck. granted the “kit” was mocked using a mid 40’s ford streetrod. Anyways so I took some cardboard & just started mocking up some brackets from where the mounting holes in the unit are to where I thought the easiest place would be to go without having to weld stuff together & without putting holes in the upper part of the firewall (speaker mounting area) I did not want to create a possible water opening. Once I kinda got that figured out then I just started to bend & shape the steel strapping until I got the shape(s) that I wanted & worked. I got it pretty close to level but I may do a final adjustment after I blow it apart to get final paint & body stuff done. there is 1 bracket in the back that is “s” shaped, there is a L shaped bracket with one leg bent in a 90d angle that is bolted along the driver side lip of the glove box opening & then another bracket that is bolted from the bottom of the glove box lip to the unit & then bent back to the top of the dash which will be hidden by the dash pad. The bracket that is on the driver’s side glove box lip is a shelving bracket from the “orange” store (as my 4 yr. old daughter) calls it with about the last 2 in. bent inward at a 90d angle. The other 2 straps are 1/8”x1.5”x4ft steel strapping that I measured & cut to the desired length. I then just “hammer” bent the angles needed. All the bolts will be replaced with allen head bolts & the brackets will be painted a flat blk. when I take it all apart later. The “s” shaped bracket that bolts to the f/w I may see about getting a friend to weld threaded studs in place so the bolts won’t go thru the firewall, idunno yet. The controller is just mounted in the stock opening with the supplied “L” shaped brackets, that was pretty simple too. I have a weld in piece that will take up the rest of the stock opening next to the controller. The units wiring was pretty simple as well. It is pretty much just find the ends & plug them together. The controller light wires I plugged into the brown wire that had the light bulb for the glove box at the end. I am not planning on wanting or needing a light to my glove box. The power wire (v.a controller) I connected to the power wire for the stock heater controller in the newly replaced stock harness from m&h. the red main unit power wire I ran with the supplied blue wire for the compressor thru a exist. hole & to the batt. I mounted the solenoid (I can’t remember the actual name of what it is) on the batt. Tray side next to the fender. well i have checked the power & the blower motor comes on so i guess that much works. i now need to finish with the hose locations & the bulkhead mounting. i am going to put it in the same general location that killer71 put his on his install. my hoses i want to run out the bulkhead & then along the inside of the fender to the hardlines that i still need to get & fab up as well. i have pre fit the locations for my hardlines with some brake tubing that was left over. ithink after that i will try to figure out how to run my binary switch to the compessor. though my electric fans i have kick on about 5 min after the truck has been running. everyone that i talk to to says i really need to do that. i will have a local shop connect all the rubber lines & evacuate & charge the system for me. i will have them go over everything as well to make sure that i did not fubar anything. i have also "mocked up" a replacement glove box that i would like to make out of the same cardboard that the original is made from, if i can find where to buy it well i guess that is about it for now. when i get some more done to it i will update this post. i am really wanting some feedback from all of you. i read all the talent that is on here & value the opinions & helpfull hints that is available here. thanks for taking time to read & i hope this might inspire you guys & some one like me who really wants to do stuff but may not think they have the talent & or skills.

thanks!!
rodstored-72
Attached Images

rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote