The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

Redid my cab. Opinions on the price.

I bought 2 rockers, two inner rockers, 2 cab corners, 2 front sill plates, two back sill plates, 2 floor pans, 1 left kick panel.
$320+ at GMC Pauls including shipping. (great guy to do business with)

Brought it to a local fabricater who hadn't done any restoration work for a long time, but took on my project because I kept bugging him.
He also took off the visor and welded the sheet metal screw holes shut.
He said he was going to charge me buy the hour and I agreed.

So, he replaced the left side kick panel, inner and outer rockers, floor pans, cab corners, all four sill plates.
$2130.00

I now have a nice new cab.

What do you think of the price?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Re: Redid my cab. Opinions on the price.

Then again, I've never farmed out any kind of work like that. But, you could have bought a welder and done it yourself, and still have about $1900 left over.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

I think what people pay for goods and services is all relative. If I had alot of disposable income or the willingness to go into debt for my hobby- I wouldn't balk at the price of anything I hired out. Or if I did not have workspace, was on a tight timeline or had ambitions of a show piece- I would have to hire out some of the more specialized work. But since I don't have alot of "extra" money to throw at my truck, nor do I want a "Sunny Sunday Driver"- I've learned to do alot of things myself. With that being said- I'd s*@t bricks if I had to fork over 2 large for a guy to replace some rusty panels and put just my cab in primer. Thats almost 3x what I paid for my entire truck, plus what i've spent on new or good OEM parts! Then again- that's my situation. I learned long ago that something is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. I'm not willing to pay for body work, but if you are and you're satisfied with the results then I'd say you struck the best deal you could.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

We took about 40 hours to replace the same parts on my cab. That includes getting the whole cab ready for paint. So, if you figure 40 hours, then he charged you about $53 per hour. That is a little high for regular body shop rates, but probably more than fair for a restoration shop.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Dano69c10

This is just my opinion... so no flames please.
If the cab is "perfect" to you (zero body work), then 2k is probably a good deal.
I'm sure when the day comes, a new repro cab will be $8k+, plus shipping.
Again just my 2 cents
Dano

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
raggedjim

If you are happy with the quality of the work then I would say that's about right. I do that stuff myself (thinking I am saving money) but it takes forever doing it on weekends and after work at night. If I was paying me, I'd have fired me a long time ago...

If I could do it as a job and do one truck a week @ $2,000 a shot I would do it!

The bad thing is I keep hearing you can buy a rust free cab for $600-$1,000, but I have yet to see one...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Rokcrln

Well you started out with a rusted cab that was not worth the registration fee. Now you have a solid building block for your project for about 2k. The cab is the most important part of the truck as far as body is concerned so I say good job now finish that thing up and enjoy!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

My son in law has a mig welder. He lives about 4 miles away from me. He has offered to help me do the cab. He is an airplane mechanic for Delta. I've done a lot of welding when I was younger.(I'm not a welder)
I really appreciated his offer but decided to go a different route.

What I did was went out and got a second job to make the extra money to have it done right. Cashed each check until I had $2000.00. I figured that would cover it. I was pretty close. I figured it would take 40 hrs at $50 an hour. I am going to try to do the rest myself. Without the info everyone posts here, it would be a lot harder to do. This is a great place to learn.
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

I was planning on doing the same thing, paying for it because I have neither the skill or the room to do one myself. However, I found a divorce sale one that a guy had redone the entire bottom and firewall, no doors and all primes for $300. Don't hate, I hope everyone can find a screaming deal like that.
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Luvlegs

[QUOTE=71MUTT;2332407]What I did was went out and got a second job to make the extra money to have it done right. Cashed each check until I had $2000.00. I figured that would cover it. I was pretty close. I figured it would take 40 hrs at $50 an hour. I am going to try to do the rest myself. Without the info everyone posts here, it would be a lot harder to do. [QUOTE]

I think that says it all - you had an idea, made a plan and it worked out... THAT is the cool part - not to mention a nice cab now.
If only the young people of the world could learn from this... instead of someone just giving them stuff...or expecting it.

Along those lines, I think the younger folks on this site are inspirational... ahhhh sorry, I accidently stepped up on the soapbox... I'm back down now...

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I went to a local restorer and talked to him about doing some work for me. First thing he said was, "I hope you're not in a hurry." Then he told me he charged $50 and hour.

After he showed me some of the work they had done and the costs involved,
I told him I'd try to do most of it myself and then check with him.

I figured if he did everything that I need done including painting, it would be close to the $10,000 range.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
streetstar

With a nice frame off resto being worth 20 - 25 thousand in some circles if done right, 2k no longer sounds too bad. There are plenty of other places to save a few bucks by DIY'ing it.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Redid my cab. Opinions on the price.

you know this is one of those threads that just stick's in my head , I am sure your job is great on that cab but boy I'll tell you that is the most I heard of anyone paying for that work !!!!
if I ever get sick and can't fix my own I will just have to quit !!!
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

id say that if you are happy with it ,and you dont know how to do it.then it was worth it .... IMO if it was easy everybody would do it..... i dont do fab work for a living but i do fix wrecked cars all day.
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #15
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

I contemplated the situation for a long time. I've owned the truck for 29 years. I'm not a very good mechanic. Everything I know has been self taught by reading and trial and error. The last time I took it to the mechanic was in Feb of 1999 for an alignment. (I just looked it up ) I've never done body work either. I thought that maybe I have no right owning this old classic if I can't do the work myself. Then I thought, maybe I can do a little at a time and that way I can keep driving it. You got to admit that these trucks are great to drive. So, a little at a time it is.

I really envy you guys that do all your own work. It really makes it worth while. Keep posting those pics so we all can learn.

I love seeing you guys getting great deals on trucks. There have been some great buys posted in just this last week. Keep 'em coming.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #16
68,69 K20
They call me the Breeze...

If you are happy with the outcome, and the guy did a good job, it doesn't matter what you paid. Besides, if you are not familiar with that kind of work do you really want to screw something up by trying it yourself? I would rather let the pro's do it.

69 K20

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy"....Ben Franklin
68,69 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #17
see ten
WTB this ad

It takes a strong man to know what he is and is not capable of doing himself. People ask me if I painted my trucks and I always tell em "Nope, I wanted it to look good". If it was as easy as buying a welder and just stitching em in everyone would do it. I also agree that if you don't start somewhere that you're never going to learn. I would like to learn to weld in patch panels and shoot a little paint but who knows if I'll ever give it a shot? Kudos to you fellas with enough cajones to go out on that limb and giving it a shot!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #18
uncle

That's what always puzzles me about most people not wanting to pay good money for a rust or almost rust/free cab. I also know that pics don't always tell the story.
uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #19
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

I checked with the Goodmark Installation Center which is located in my town and they quoted me $2,500 to replace all the bad panels and primer. Needless to say my cab is still rusty.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #20
xshadow

What condititon cab could you buy for $2130.00?
Do you think you could buy a rust free one for that? or a parts truck with a rust free one for less?

Last edited by xshadow; 08-29-2007 at 09:49 PM.
xshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:51 PM   #21
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

As long as your happy, that's all that matters....

now where are the pics???

I love to see new metal

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #22
BurnoutNova

this is a touchy subject...

people never realize how much bodywork really costs, generally most people who are somewhat do-it yourselfers think its a rip off to pay between $50 and $85/ hr to work on thier cars. they are so used to doing thing cheap they loose sight of how much stuff really costs.

Last edited by BurnoutNova; 08-29-2007 at 10:52 PM.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #23
71MUTT
Can't ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshadow View Post
What condititon cab could you buy for $2130.00?
Do you think you could buy a rust free one for that? or a parts truck with a rust free one for less?
There is the sentimental thing that goes with my truck. That's why I chose not to buy someone elses truck for less money. But I did shop around and came across a couple of deals that looked better on paper. I decided to keep sentiment alive.

I promise to post before and after pics this weekend.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #24
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
I would like to learn to weld in patch panels and shoot a little paint but who knows if I'll ever give it a shot? Kudos to you fellas with enough cajones to go out on that limb and giving it a shot!
The older I get the smaller my cajones get for trying to do that stuff. I still would like to try, but then reality sets in. I guess first, you have to have enough room to do that kind of work in your residence, then you have to make sure the neighbors don't report you to the association or the city, then you have to make sure you don't have to leave your wife's car out in the hot/cold so you can do your project...

I guess younger guys figure that they have the rest of their lives to improve their skills or correct any problems later. With me, I want it done before I'm too old to enjoy it and my kids decide to yank the keys from old dad (and steal my truck.... )
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #25
Sequoyah
so easy a caveman can do it...

My neighbor who can do "everything" just replaced some panels on his truck with better ones from the junkyard, sanded, primed, sanded some more and then painted his truck himself. Never done it before. Believe me...it looks like it, but for him it's all about the money...not the finished product.

He offered to help me paint my truck when the time comes and I just told him no...I want a professional to do it. He didn't take offense to that...he knew what I meant. If it's worth doin'...
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote