The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
DoobieBrother

Tranny shops/guys in DFW area

I'm getting closer to being ready to put a new tranny in my `68. I'm still contemplating installing one myself. But I'm also looking at having it done. So, do you guys know of any good shops that can sell me and install a quality built 700R4 (pretty sure that's the one I'll want)? I'd be particularly happy if I could find somewhere near the Plano area but that's just a bonus. Mainly I'm looking for reasonable price and quality work.

Also, I've got a three speed auto w/ column shifter, so I may have to deal with an issue on the detents I guess. Any thoughts there are appreciate as well.

Last edited by DoobieBrother; 08-31-2007 at 06:06 PM.
DoobieBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

Re: Tranny shops/guys in DFW area

Phoeneix transmission in weatherford
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbgump View Post
Phoeneix transmission in weatherford
I'll second this. They did the 4l60e in our 02 Trans Am. They did all the 'vette' internal upgrades & let me choose from several converter options. I checked around town for price quotes & was suprised (even though it still wasn't cheap..... it was cheaper than the alternatives):

GM dealership where the car was purchased = $3100 for a stock GM trans rebuild & flushing/re-using the original converter.

Local tranny place in Garland TX = $2800+ (estimate) based on what had failed within the trans & flushing/reusing the original converter.

Phoenix Trans = $2400 ~ 2800 based on what had failed within the trans. New converter.

The final price was $2480 installed & IIRC a 2yr/24K warranty. This trans will set you back in the seat on the 1/2 shift. I got a 2400 stall L/U converter & it really woke the LS1 up on the bottom end. Super clean shop & great service too!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
68GenIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'll second this. They did the 4l60e in our 02 Trans Am. They did all the 'vette' internal upgrades & let me choose from several converter options. I checked around town for price quotes & was suprised (even though it still wasn't cheap..... it was cheaper than the alternatives):

GM dealership where the car was purchased = $3100 for a stock GM trans rebuild & flushing/re-using the original converter.

Local tranny place in Garland TX = $2800+ (estimate) based on what had failed within the trans & flushing/reusing the original converter.

Phoenix Trans = $2400 ~ 2800 based on what had failed within the trans. New converter.

The final price was $2480 installed & IIRC a 2yr/24K warranty. This trans will set you back in the seat on the 1/2 shift. I got a 2400 stall L/U converter & it really woke the LS1 up on the bottom end. Super clean shop & great service too!
Curious about the "vette internals" The only difference Im aware or is the servo? Which is the cause of your firm shift. What else did they replace from a vette?

Last edited by 68GenIII; 09-01-2007 at 01:17 AM.
68GenIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:19 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GenIII View Post
Curious about the "vette internals" The only difference Im aware or is the servo? Which is the cause of your firm shift. What else did they replace from a vette?
Servo, valve body, & different (better + extra) clutches.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote