The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Dova

Ever been undercut on a deal?

So i found a truck on ebay that was really nice. i was going to have ppl go look at it that live near there. the guy emailed me back and within 5 hours of the email that he told me how much and everything he sold it. and he said he would hold it for a little while to hear back from me. knowing good and well i was in iraq and in the military
Dova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
captain

Re: Ever been undercut on a deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dova View Post
So i found a truck on ebay that was really nice. i was going to have ppl go look at it that live near there. the guy emailed me back and within 5 hours of the email that he told me how much and everything he sold it. and he said he would hold it for a little while to hear back from me. knowing good and well i was in iraq and in the military

When I was in college a lady sold a car out from under me after we had a verbal agreement. I had already been down to see it and she agreed to hold it for me for two days while I got the money together. When I showed up with the money she said she sold it to someone else. Man, was I pissed.

I'm sorry it didn't work out, but keep looking. I found my truck on Ebay. It was only 100 miles from me, so I was able to check it out in person, but Ebay still makes finding one easier since you can search by location and have it email you whenever new matches show up.

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605783

They say there's a sucker born every minute. They go to Ebay to be baptized.
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

That's why I try to make sure I have the money in hand before I go looking. It sucks that it's gotta be that way, but people's word ain't worth much anymore.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Dova

which is gargabe. i'm a huge guy that if i tell you i'm going to do something then i'm going to do it. well it's hard to do that being in iraq. most ppl are good about helping you out in the situation being in iraq and all
Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
67stepC

i had something simmilar to that i had a 82 caddy coupe deville and had a guy that was supposed to buy it well he didn't have all the money i told him i would hold it. well the day came to sell oh also had to go to upstate s.c. get there he starts yappn' about it needs this and that, then all he has is 200.00 less than price that was discussed well i didn't want to sell to him but needed to in order to get what i need for my truck plus trip to home to work on truck. from now on i will be lookn' out for crap like that. thats my .02
67stepC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
blazerboy72

I had a member of this board do the same thing to me. I told him I would be there first thing in the morning to pick it up. I call him at 7:30am and he says he has already sold it, after we agreed to meet that morning. The worst part is I had already rented a trailer to use to go get it.
blazerboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Dova

yeah that sucks. i've been looking in the 4-7k range that's about what i want to spend and i'm really looking for a swb stepside. this one had factory a/c p/s p/b factory tach and had been really taken care of. i'm just a country boy i guess and will take someone's word for something or expect them if they say something that they'll go through with it
Old 09-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
which is gargabe. i'm a huge guy that if i tell you i'm going to do something then i'm going to do it. well it's hard to do that being in iraq. most ppl are good about helping you out in the situation being in iraq and all
I was talking about the people telling you'll they'll hold something for you, not you telling someone you'll be back with the money. The only thing you can trust them to hold is your money as you leave with whatever you bought. I think your story illustrates my point exactly.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #9
Dova

yeah sorry i guess i just glanced over it and didn't read in depth too much
Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 PM   #10
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

money talks

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #11
chip46wis

Happened to me years ago on a 1969 Z-28-I told the guy for years I WANTED the car when he ever sold it.I ran accross him one day and he said he sold it to a guy that noticed it his garage for 1/2 what I had offered.I was so POd I turned away before I punched his lights out (he worked with the police force) then I left rubber all over his driveway and tore up his grass on the way out.That was 20 years ago and I still fight the urge to punch him.The car was original 302 second owner with 40,000
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

Dova...where in AR are you.

I am sure there are many folks out there still good for their name. You just don't get to run into them everyday.

Tim

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
Dova

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcos View Post
Dova...where in AR are you.

I am sure there are many folks out there still good for their name. You just don't get to run into them everyday.

Tim
well i've lived about all over. before the navy mountain home was where i lived. and i've also lived in bryant. i'm one of those guys who wants to have things planned out before it happens. so i'm trying to buy a truck and have everything set up for when i go home on leave.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #14
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Well, here's a twist on your story.

A girl my wife and I knew had a '64 Ford convertible she wanted to sell. She called me and I asked how much. She said (and I quote) "Well, I would take $400 or $300 for it." So, I said I'll give you $300 for it on Friday. This was on a Tuesday, I think. So, Friday after I get off of work, she calls. She wanted to know if I still wanted it, saying that two guys were coming to drive it and buy if for $500. I told her I had the money ($300) and she said okay. My wife and I hooked it up the road, not wanting to miss on the car. When we got there, the car was gone. I went to her apartment, and she told me that a guy was test-driving it. I said, "Here's the money". She took it, handed me the spare keys and the title. I walked back down the parking lot, and the car was back. A guy was standing there when I got in. He said, "What are you doing?" I told him, "I just bought this car." I drove off in it as quickly as possible.

The real deal is that her ex-husband (married to my ex-wife) was trying to go around the back of the lot and buy it without her knowing it was him. You wouldn't believe how sorry a character I was in the eyes of my ex-wife for having done what I did. She just didn't understand how stupid the girl was who sold it to me (who was my ex-wife's new husbands ex-wife). Confused? You shoulda been there. I kept it for 6 months and sold it for $800. That was in '81.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #15
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

I've had the same thing happen to me man, by a board member. We had spoken, and we said we would be up on a Saturday to pick the truck up. Friday night, we loaded up moms yukon with every tool imaginable for the 4hr trip back home in the truck, when the guys calls up and says, "I can't possibly sell it." This was after we got a temp. license plate, loaded up with tools, had a bank check made out, the whole 9 yards. It really was too bad, but thats all in the past.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #16
SCOTI

I've had guys request to hold something for them & then they don't show back up. Mean while, someone else calls about it but it seems there's an oral commitment so you say there's a sale pending & they go elsewhere.

It's a double edged sword. A deal is not a deal until the money & the item are exchanged.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

You can`t put money in someone`s hand from out of state.Good scruples are supposed to suffice...

A member here posted a link to his Ebay auction for a`67 front clip with a "Buy it Now" price.He was near enough to pick up and I was already going to a swapmeet in NJ that he was going to.I told him to yank the clip from Ebay,I`d gladly give him his price,and would pick up at the swapmeet(after paying him right away,first).Then,he sends a message that when another member saw his thread he remimded him that he had promised the next `67 clip to him and he was in a pickle.I didn`t see it that way at all.This was on Ebay being offered to the world and I made my definitive move saving the seller alot of trouble.We were going on the same site at Englishtown already that another member had coincedently invited us to.It couldn`t have worked out more perfect.
This was not going right and I don`t deal with people with no clue on ethics,so I walked and skipped the swapmeet,too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-06-2007 at 05:43 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #18
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Its happened to me more than once, not a good feeling. I dont get too upset, I figure it was not meant to be.

I have learned in selling high ticket stuff that if someone wants it, get a deposit.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #19
lks dcvn

Never had it happen to me - just be sure to have $100 bucks in cash in your pocket (if you are remotely interested) for a deposit. They MAY be less likely to swindle you after a deposit of sale is made.

Just my $.02

Lks Dcvn
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #20
Dova

yeah i had told the guy i had 500 for a deposit as soon as i would get to talk to him. unfortunately i can't make phone calls 24 hours a day while over here i'm on the internet because i can get it mroe than where i have to go to make calls. oh well i found another truck pending the pics that is a frame off resto for a good price like the last one
Old 09-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #21
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Sorry under the circumstances! For a lot of people money talks, before their word.

Hope you find a truck!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #22
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I've had guys request to hold something for them & then they don't show back up. Mean while, someone else calls about it but it seems there's an oral commitment so you say there's a sale pending & they go elsewhere.

It's a double edged sword. A deal is not a deal until the money & the item are exchanged.
For some reason I attract people like this from Craigslist. They'll email and/or call and I'll give them my number and I never hear from them again. Meanwhile several others have inquired about the same part. I hate to be like this, but cash in hand talks- especially when you're trying to get rid of something.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:51 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

I saw a trailer for sale for a great price when I wasn`t looking for one and was busy picking up materials for a job(in a Hurry).I stopped anyway and looked at it,went in and bought it.The seller said a $100 deposit would be fine until I picked it up on Friday.I could have run out and gotten the balance,but that was the "agreement" set by the seller.I go back friday and the S.O.B. had sold it to someone else.It seems the idiot left it out AND left the for sale sign on it(This was a business location).Someone stopped and offered more than the asking price and hauled it away(thanks for the call).I gave the asking price and never tryed to get it lower.When I complained the idiot said,"I`m giving your deposit back." I told him he was lucky I didn`t pay him 5 extra knuckles!!! If that isn`t selling out from under you then what is?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-06-2007 at 05:53 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #24
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
yeah i had told the guy i had 500 for a deposit as soon as i would get to talk to him. unfortunately i can't make phone calls 24 hours a day while over here i'm on the internet because i can get it mroe than where i have to go to make calls. oh well i found another truck pending the pics that is a frame off resto for a good price like the last one
Sorry to hear your troubles, but can you send me a link or phone number on this truck?

s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #25
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

For the longest time I would see a `71 or 72` truck front end (fender actually, it was covered with a blanket) sticking out part way from a barn. I often thought about just asking if he wanted to sell, but I knew I needed cash in hand. It would be my luck to ask and get an agreement, then he would end up calling a son-n-law or something and back out of the deal.
So I sold my rare import and went down with well enough cash to buy this truck.
He said “Oh, that truck? You don’t want to talk about that truck. I had some ol`boy in Canada offer me $50,000 for her. It’s got the rare blue on white two tone”.
We made some small talk and got to look at. Nothing special and it had leaf spring rear too.
So I went looking elsewhere.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 09-06-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote