The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
raiden7800
Straight "6" Shooter

Exclamation 3spd. Trans noises

How loud should the 3 spd. manual on the tree trans be? Mine is pretty loud, sounds about 2 times louder than a 4wd transfer case in low gear. (Thats loud!) Its not making a grinding noise or anything, it just has a really loud gear to gear noise. 1st gear is quiet, 2nd is louder, and 3rd sounds like someone forgot to take it out of low gear on the t-case. Im thinking maybe that it just needs more gear lube? Or is it shot?

Ive heard that the trans is shot from 1 guy, and that it may be low on oil from others. I dont know of a way to check the fluid, other than to open the drain plug (if it has one) annd see if any comes out.

Help! Do I need a new trans?

If you listen intently, you can hear a FORD rusting in the distance.

My LUG NUTS take more TORQUE than your HONDA makes!
raiden7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
hewlett2002000

Re: 3spd. Trans noises

well there should be a plug on the side to check and fill the oil. i just stick a straw in that hole and see how high it is. i learned a long time ago not to stick my finger in there!!! lol
good luck,
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:14 AM   #3
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I just use my pinky finger. It should be on the pass side about half way up. And you should at least be able to touch fluid on the end of your finger.
What kind of noises? Does the noise go away when you're not applying power or not completely coasting (in other words, just applying enough throtle to keep the truck at a constant speed?) If so, sounds like a rear end problem. You might want to check the rearend level also.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
raiden7800
Straight "6" Shooter

If I keep the truck at a constant speed lie you are saying 63&64, then yes the noise will pretty much go away. I will check the fluid in the rearend as well.

Wouldn't it make that same level of noise despite what gear I am in though?

If you listen intently, you can hear a FORD rusting in the distance.

My LUG NUTS take more TORQUE than your HONDA makes!
raiden7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiden7800 View Post
If I keep the truck at a constant speed lie you are saying 63&64, then yes the noise will pretty much go away. I will check the fluid in the rearend as well.

Wouldn't it make that same level of noise despite what gear I am in though?
well, the rear will make more noise the faster you're going. So, it seems like 1st is kinda loud, 2nd a little louder and 3rd loud. And, the symptoms you're describing pretty much sound like rear end problems to me. Just a guess of course. But, I'd check that rear oil level and make sure it's not milky (water in the oil.) In 3 speed transmissions, 1st gear and reverse share a shaft and 2nd and 3rd share a different shaft. So most times if 1st has a problem, reverse will too, same with 2nd and 3rd. But, if you're having noise in all gears, again....just a wild uneducated guess, but I'd look at the rear.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote