The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
roughedup72

Whew!! Close call!

This is what happened. It was wednesday morning and I was on my way to work on the Interstate in rush hour traffic. It was a cool morning for a change so I decided to turn the A/C off and ride with the vent on. As I was sliding the controls, they pinched the wire that powers the light on the right side of the heater a/c control panel. Smoke began to come out of the dash. First thought was "Damn this truck is going to burn to the ground and I dont even have full coverage" Then it stopped smoking so I thought about it for a second and deciced to see if I could find what wire it was that arced out. When I did I hit the wire and it started smoking again, this time alot worse,so I pulled the ashtray out and saw which wire it was. At about the same time the truck died. No power, no nothing. Now I'm stuck on the interstate in bumper to bumper traffic. Thankfully the lady behind me was kind enough to leave me enough room to let me roll backwards and onto the emergency lane. Once I got stopped and in a safe place I jumped out and grabbed my fire extinguisher.then started looking for fire. Thankfully nothing was on fire so I found the wire down at the fuse block and it wasn't protected by a fuse, Just plugged into the fuse block. So I unplugged it then went to the engine to see why the engine died and found that the fuseable link burned into. Thank God for fuseable links. Fixed it and was back on the road.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: Whew!! Close call!

Glad you didn't burn your truck down.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
roughedup72

Re: Whew!! Close call!

Yeah me to. The thing is, this was a factory wire. I also called the insurance comp. and put full coverage on it right after I got back on the interstate.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote