The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
malosiaga
Fa'a Samoa

How much should I expect to pay???

I want to buy a 67-72 SWB Fleetside. I'm looking for one that's already been redone. As most of you know, prices are all over the place. I want a Daily Driver with all or at least most of the things I've seen some of the owners on this site do. All the rust gone, a/c, lowered (preferably with bags but static is ok), nice reliable engine, clean interior, fuel tank relocated to rear, everything on the truck works, big wheels, that type of stuff. The range I've seen for what in my opinion have been really nice frame off rebuilds has been 10k all the way up to 50k. The owner of a truck that I like told me that in his opinion I could easily build a truck like his for 15K. I've attached pictures as examples of what I'm looking for. I'm just trying not to insult anyone with an unrealistic low offer and I certainly don't want to over pay. I think 15k +/_ a few grand for a turnkey ride is a good place to start. What are your opinions? Appreciate the help.

Last edited by malosiaga; 01-29-2008 at 06:59 AM.
malosiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: How much should I expect to pay???

That's what I was thinking... 10 - 15K.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
wibilly

10-15 would be a good starting point however i would think the trucks you posted would run upwards of them numbers
Old 09-09-2007, 01:07 AM   #4
70cst

I would think the truck that you described...the starting point would be in the mid teens. Unless you can find an owner who needs to let go for some fast cash you won't get the type of truck that you described for $10,000. IMO

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:10 AM   #5
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Hard to build a truck like the trucks you posted for $10 to $15.000 bucks. Price it out and add it up and see what you come up with ....

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:10 AM   #6
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
malosiaga
Fa'a Samoa

Thanks for the replies so far. Just to clarify, I'm not even remotely interested in building a truck of my own. I have a lot of respect for those of you that build your own trucks. After a little research I’m somewhat aware of the costs involved. I don't have the time skill or tools to do it myself, so my only option is to buy one that's already done. Keep the replies coming, I like learning from all of you!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
70cst

I am planning the resto of my 70st this fall. Like you I am mechanically challenged plus I have two vocations so time is another isssue. The truck will have a complete engine rebuild, suspension and trany will be gone through, plus the interior and body will be restored. Looks at this point about $20K. But this will be my DD as a fun truck verses me going out and buying a newer model. I will evenutually pass thsi truck down to 70cstjr.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 09-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #9
Jcentsr6

I paid $8750 for my truck...stock w/ no rust (no rust at all) I then in the past month added over $7500 in parts (no labor) Airbags, full disc brakes (all 4 corners) wheels and tires, and engine work (cam and lifters, mainifold, roller rockers, headers, full mandrel bent exhaust) Add it up. Over 16k and Im not completed at all. Hope that helps out a bit with your pricing.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
ChevyDude

I paid 5 grand for Lil' Red a 1971 SWB fleetside...its four years later and can tell you I have put more than 10 grand into her with paint and all.

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
see ten
WTB this ad

The bottom truck you posted sold for just under 20K. There's a member in Kansas (14 hrs from my end of GA) with a truck posted on here that's supposed to be tip top for 10K. Of course it isn't as low as what you would like nor does it have the wheels you're looking for. What part of GA are you in? In my experience you're not going to find a solid truck around here for less than 5K. If you want one with nice paint and A/C the price is going up. Add to that a correctly installed drop and the price is probably higher still. There was also a member in Atlanta who had a super nice GMC for sale. I don't remember his price or if he still has it but his board name is uncle. What part of Georgia are you in?
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
malosiaga
Fa'a Samoa

I live in Atlanta near Little 5 Points
Old 09-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
see ten
WTB this ad

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...1/89299011.htm

Add your own drop and rims and this is right up your alley.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/89952826.htm

I've called about this 2nd one. I'm sure cash could persuade them to take less. It looks and sounds like it should be real nice.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #14
streetstar

Your describing a 20k truck or more ----- the guy who said you could build one for 15k probably isn't factoring in the 4-600 hours of labor that goes into it too --------

lets see -- taking an average guy's suggested wage of 20-25 bucks an hour or so, that adds another 10 or 15,000 in intangible labor expenses
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #15
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by malosiaga View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. Just to clarify, I'm not even remotely interested in building a truck of my own. I have a lot of respect for those of you that build your own trucks. After a little research I’m somewhat aware of the costs involved. I don't have the time skill or tools to do it myself, so my only option is to buy one that's already done. Keep the replies coming, I like learning from all of you!

Now this changes everthing. A turn key truck .... the only way I can see this happening for $15,000 +/- (not much minus) is to buy a 3 or 4 years STOCK RESTO. Buy it do a moly mop on it and as you can afford it get wheels/tires, possiblely lower it and then you will be into it for about $23,000 +/-.

Allot of the trucks in the pictures you posted have suttle body work changes. Shaving a truck is not cheap if your paying for it to be done. You can drop a few more thousand on the table for this. Now your in the high twenties.

Yikes what have I got myself into!!!!!

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #16
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

I'm into mine about $ 7500 total right now to buy it, 350/350 swap, make it sorta-presentable, and safe enough to drive. Time-out on the rebuilds while I enjoy it a while & accumulate parts & $$$$.

If I sold it now, I know I probably wouldn't hardly get half that back. (This IS NOT an offer to sell)

I've not yet started at all on the "next stage," which will be interior (re-do window tracks/cranks, replace some thin floor pans & new body mounts, seat & better door panels), full rewiring, Vintage Air, bedwood replacement, and rear gas tank.

Don't think I can do the next part & possibly end up for much less than $ 15 K in it, & this doesn't begin to do a full tear down type rebuild.

Why not consider just buying a partly redone project, and doing a little work while you drive, and you learn? I knew nothing at all about trucks when I started, and not now even 1/10th yet what some of these guys know, but I'm learning, & having fun. That's what this is about, for me.
Attached Images

68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #17
malosiaga
Fa'a Samoa

I really appreciate all of your opinions. I have no problem traveling to find the right truck for me. Here are a few that I've found...

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...9/89677899.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/89789088.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...7/89807717.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

Last edited by malosiaga; 09-09-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
70c10
67-72 Addict!

That blue one on ebay looks like a good buy . I wish I had it!

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #19
70cst

Hey...malosiaga
If your truck has one of those restored AM-FM radio like the one being sold on ebay...add another $1150.

Last edited by 70cst; 09-09-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #20
see ten
WTB this ad

Being willing to travel to Ca or have one shipped is going to open up a whole 'nother world of trucks and prices to you! The orange one you posted from Collectorcartraderonline is a Long bed. They didn't put the toolbox on Short trucks to my knowledge. I will say that the blue one on ebay appears to be a smoking deal. I don't personaly care for the massive wheeltubs but I'm not the one shopping here.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #21
malosiaga
Fa'a Samoa

see ten
I've traveled all over the country for cars, trucks, even a motorcycle once that I had to have. I don't mind, It's actually fun for me. Thanks for taking the time to bring the trucks you found to my attention. I don't really like the huge tubs on the blue truck either. I thought about buying it and attempting to return them to normal, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #22
malosiaga
Fa'a Samoa

70cst

If that radio was actually worth that much I would sell it and use the money to immediately have some original size wheel tubs grafted back in. That thing looks like you can ride around doing wheelies all the time.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #23
streetstar

The blue ebay truck actually looks nice for the price. It needs some more approprate wheels for the Pro Street look though, and it needs to be slammed. From the side, you cant tell its a Pro Street truck with those wheels ---- but the tubs are there to stay unless you section and weld some stock ones. The stock wheel wells will not give clearance for that kind of rolling stock

Out of those 4 links though-- the orange one is my favorite, - i have no longbed prejudice - but to each his own
Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #24
malosiaga
Fa'a Samoa

streetstar

I kinda figured if I changed the wheel wells in the bed of the blue eBay truck that the wheels and tires would have to go too. Swapping wheel wells is definitely above my skill level. I didn't realize the orange truck was a LWB. I have to have a SWB because anything longer won't leave me enough room in my garage to walk around it so I can get into the house.

Last edited by malosiaga; 09-09-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #25
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by malosiaga View Post
streetstar

I kinda figured if I changed the wheel wells in the bed of the blue eBay truck that the wheels and tires would have to go too. Swapping wheel wells is definitely above my skill level. I didn't realize the orange truck was a LWB. I have to have a SWB because anything longer won't fit in my garage.

I didnt look at the ad that closely, but it should have narrowed rear frame rails and a narrowed rearend housng and axles for those wheels and tires too -- definitely not a straightforward swap.---- never mind - i looked at it again - he just used custom wheels with a deep negative backspace -

A standard depth garage is 20 - 22ft minimum. A single cab LWB would fit just fine - its only 1.5' longer than a shorty. But if i was looking at trucks in the 10 - 15k range , i would be strictly looking at shorties too - they are just plain worth more cash if you ever have to sell (i already have a LWB and dont need any more)

Have fun dude, i wish i was shopping for a new one now too. I used to really enjoy the modified ones, but as i get older, i like the trucks best with a stock exterior appearance and a seriously lowered suspension. However, as some people on here can attest - bags can be a pain on a regularly driven truck --- would get one with a mechanical drop (lowered springs, spindles, etc.) if it was done right and did not ride too harsh

Last edited by streetstar; 09-09-2007 at 09:50 PM.