The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
ken71gmc

Stainless or Aluminum? Movin' tank out back

Howdy all! Have smoothed the old tank filler in the cab hole and am doing the gas tank to the rear. Bought a poly tank early on in the resto and don't care for it. Mounting is weak, my biggest beef. Anyones ideas on either aluminum or stainless and a company would be appreciated. Aluminum tends to be less expensive but if stainless is tops I'll fork out the extra dough. Using the bed fill and probably hinged lid to cover filler. Anybody with pics or suggestions on websites please bring it on. Thanks and have a great one.
ken71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Kid

Re: Stainless or Aluminum? Movin' tank out back

Stainless or aluminum both make good fuel tanks. The Stainless would be less weight, but like you said, would cost more. To give you some ideas, take a look at the link below to see an aluminum tank I built & installed in my 68.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=50348

Last edited by Kid; 09-09-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Ram-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken71gmc View Post
Howdy all! Have smoothed the old tank filler in the cab hole and am doing the gas tank to the rear. Bought a poly tank early on in the resto and don't care for it. Mounting is weak, my biggest beef. Anyones ideas on either aluminum or stainless and a company would be appreciated. Aluminum tends to be less expensive but if stainless is tops I'll fork out the extra dough. Using the bed fill and probably hinged lid to cover filler. Anybody with pics or suggestions on websites please bring it on. Thanks and have a great one.
One thought on mounting the plastic one use straps like the factory does. The plastic one I bought was designed to be hung. If you get smacked in the rear (no pun intended) you want that tank to rip the straps off and not be bolted solid and end up tearing a hole in it. You wont see a production vehicle with a under vehicle tank bolted in solid. Only hung by straps.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
see ten
WTB this ad

Tucker's has a nice looking aluminum one. Early Classic also has a stainless steel one that looks tip top.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote