The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2002, 11:48 PM   #1
mt Al

Installed sound deadener, amazing

Spent the last two days taking out the 30 year old interior of the suburban and putting in new carpet, seat belts and sound deadener.

The floor was like new in some places, and nasty in others, the rust in the "bad" spot under the driver's feet was pretty bad, even has a hole now. I ground much of it off and sprayed everything with the NAPA version of rust killer stuff. Items found under carpet: .22 casings, very cool GI Joe size spear (obviously not for Joe himself, but for a similar sized Native American action figure), hair clips (lots), many quarters from '67 - '85, nails, screws, cig butts, cig wrappers and lots o' dust.

After it was all out, floor cleaned, vaccumed and rust-sprayed, in went the sound deadener, Brown Bread by www.b-quiet.com 70 square feet for about $150. Its really thin, about 2 mm's or so. It looks like undercoating with a very thin lead laminate, definitely an asphalt type of goo. You basically cut pieces off, stick it by hand as best you can, turn on your wife's hair drier, heat it up and then use a roller to get it to really stick. It sticks like crazy, can't imagine trying to get it off unless its really cold. Once you cut the edge and are pressing it down, watch out, the edges are sharp! If you heat it up enough and slowly press it in, it will go down into small corners. I split the metal laminate a few times, no big deal.

I put on one layer going from under the dash, back to the back of the second seat, didn't have much left, but enough to put two layers on each rear wheel well and one piece under the where the third seat goes, over the rear end. The wheel wells are where most of the noise is coming from in this rig. Also put an extra small piece or two over the trans hump.

Then the carpet goes in. The trickiest part for me has always been cutting the hole for the 4x4 shifter and the bright switch, but it went fine. Of course the carpet was purchased from GMC Pauls. Fits in great. Every little hump in the burban floor is covered nicely from the molded carpet. The full suburban carpet set covers the back cargo area and has wheel well and gas-tube-cover covers.

'93 burban 60/40 split benches back in up front and now with the seatbelts that came with the seats. Used www.julianos.com load spreaders for all four bolt-downs (two shoulder belts and both center connections). All I can say is that the front seat belts out of a '93 suburban work fine. The rear ones are a problem and I don't know if I can use them. Very funky little weight thing that has to be angled just right for them to unwind.

Waiting to figure out if I should put in the '93 2nd seat or get a cover for the original. I really like how you just jump in back with the original 2nd seat, no folding forward or stepping on the seat to jump over. This is a kid hauler, so I think the factory seat's going back in.

The effect of the sound deadener is amazing. I took it for a spin and it dosn't sound anything like it did. Barely any wheel tread noise and a much quieter engine/tranny noise. I didn't think it would do squat with how thin it is and how the panels really didn't sound that different when wrapping on them after the Brown Bread was stuck on. I still used the white foam and black asphalt that came with the carpet to really kill the noise.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought some of you would want to know about the sound deadener of you are re-doing your cab. It works great.
'71 GMC 2wd 1/2T 402 nice!
'72 Chev 2wd 1/2T 396
'72 GMC 3/4T 4x4 2500 Super Custom suburban.

Bozeman, Montana
mt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 06:53 AM   #2
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.
Thanks for the writeup.I was thinking of using the Brown Bread product too for my Blazer. The 70sqr feet should be plenty for that.
I read the Brown Bread has an ashphalt type of smell,is this true? If it does did it dissapate after a while?
I was leaning toward the Dynamat extreme before I saw the Brown Bread.
Let me know.
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:27 AM   #3
mt Al

The 70 square feet should be enough for your blazer.

I smelled a little asphalt, but not much, even when I was heating it up. Definitely didn't smell anything after it was installed.

This stuff gets very hot very quickly. When you've got a wrinkle that you think might bulge underneath your carpet, you just blast it with the hair dryer for a bit and roll it flat. The asphalt stuff may ooze out of the seam, but it didn't smell to me.

If you've got enough money to blow, I'd consider getting two 70 sq. foot rolls. Apparently its 3 times more effective with two layers.
'71 GMC 2wd 1/2T 402 nice!
'72 Chev 2wd 1/2T 396
'72 GMC 3/4T 4x4 2500 Super Custom suburban.

Bozeman, Montana
mt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 10:21 AM   #4
racedvl
Account Suspended

Thumbs up

Sweet! I rembember my 72 suburban being very loud going down the road. But then again, half the floor was missing! LOL!!
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:26 PM   #5
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.
mt Al,thanks man!
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:48 PM   #6
greasemonkey

Okay, time for the daily stupid question...
I have a carpet kit that I am putting in next week, actually probably Saturday. I have the asphalt/foam deadener. Which side goes up, and which goes down? I am getting the rockers replaced and the whole floor redone, so I want to do it right the first time. Thanks.
John
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote