The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
chev75sliverado

Suspension swap 1 ton to 1/2 ton frame

Hello everyone i'm new to this forum because i have questions and i'm looking for answers. First off I own two chevy trucks, the first one is my father's truck that i inherated when he passed away. He bought it brand new in '75. It's a 1975 Chevy 2wd 1/2ton Sliverado stepside. The other truck is mine that I bought 3 years ago. It's a 1979 Chevy 2wd 1 ton (non-dually) Scottsdale Camper special. I bought it to evenully use as a parts truck for my dad's truck .
My question: is the frame on the 1ton the same as the 1/2ton ,
will all the suspension components from the 1 ton fit on the 1/2 ton truck

my reason is that now i have two trucks and don't drive both. I love my dads truck and i like the fact that the 1 ton can haul a heavier payload so why can't i take the 1 ton suspension and put it on a half tuck truck so i can have both in the same package. I know it would be alot of work but i'm willing to do it but i don't want to start into the project if it's not going to mate up and i have to stop because they don't fit. Any help will be great
chev75sliverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Pyrotechnic

Re: Suspension swap 1 ton to 1/2 ton frame

Get ready for the roughest ride of your life. The super stiff 1 ton suspension combined with the short wheel base will make for a truck that feels like the axles are bolted right to the frame.

My advice ? Keep your dads truck nice and fix up the 1 ton you bought for hauling purposes. Even the longer wheel base of the 1 ton truck is better for towing.

Besides, how are you going to fully load a 1 ton suspension with a stepside bed ?

If you just want to increase payload in the rear, a set of helper air bags would be far cheaper and less time consuming, and you could retain your smooth ride by airing them down when unloaded.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 09-11-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
streetstar

ditto
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
chev75sliverado

well either away i'm still going to have to do some work on them. And don't have the space to keep both of the trucks. they are just sitting at my mother's house and she wants them gone. so it's keep one or the other .
the '75 has a strong motor(3rd) but the transmission(original) needs to be rebuilt and suspension needs to be rebuilt. The '79 has a blown motor and a strong transmission. But the truck was from southern california next to the ocean and the body and bed have bad rust holes in some bad spots.

So now you can see why I'm asking if the swap can be done. I don't care about the ride. I'll only use it to haul trailers and load heavier then the 1/2 ton rating. If i wanted to go and get a batch of cement at the local hardware store they required a truck of 3/4 ton or more for the cement trailer to leave the yard. My dad did alot of hauling and the truck now sags alot to the point when i last drove the truck and hauled a car it sagged to much. I have a small truck to do light hauling and it gets better gas mileage then the monster V-8

Will the fleetside bed fit on a stepside frame?
Once again thanks for the help

Last edited by chev75sliverado; 09-11-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

The C-channels of the 1/2-ton frame are 6" tall I believe, 8" for the 1-ton frames. There's a difference it the lengths of the leafs too, 1-ton ones are just massive. So you may have to do some re-drilling on the 1/2-ton frame in order to get the 1-ton stuff on it, and even then it won't be a true 1-ton cause of the weaker frame.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:16 AM   #6
chev75sliverado

That's what I thought about the frame too just wanted a second thought on it thanks Ivan. Dam I'm in a tough spot. I love my dads truck but i also love my 1ton the only bummer is that it's not a 4wd
Old 09-12-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Well I'm pretty sure you can still re-drill the half-ton frame, just gotta be careful to make sure you don't angle the rear axle.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
Morgsie

Why not just shorten the frame on the 1 ton and put the short box on? I'm pretty sure the 1 ton has different spring perch locations anyway (that may be just be for the dualies though...). Get out the tape measure! I'd personally go to 4x4 if you're going to all that trouble.
Morgsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Jim85IROC

I'd put the 1-ton axles into the 1/2 ton truck, and perhaps the front suspension. I'd buy new 1/2 ton rear springs and add air bags for when you want to haul stuff. Now you get most of the strength of the 1 ton but with most of the ride of the 1/2 ton.
My Sounddomain Page
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
Zilverado
Account Suspended

I did a similar thing when I swapped the leaf springs and axel from my father's '77 "heavy-half" (Camper Special) onto my '86 1/2 ton. The heavier springs are an 8-stack leaf and about 6" longer, with the rear hanger mounted further back on the frame. The 1/2-ton frame had factory holes in that location, so the bolt-up was not too bad. Hardest part was removing the original hangers that were riveted onto the frame.

So, I'm not sure how much different the 1-ton frame is, but that's my "similar" experience.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
Zoomad75
K5Camper

If it's squatting with 1/2 ton springs they are probably worn out. Get some replacement 1/2 ton springs and drive the truck. No it's not a 1 ton, but you won't have the issues of swapping in 56" springs for the stock 52"s Your short box might not have enough frame length to put the rear mounts to the right spot for 56" springs anyway.

You can always have the stock springs re-arched for better load capacity anyway. If you Dad used it to haul stuff with 1/2 ton springs why can't you? Just beef them up all they are sagging from is the years of use from your Dad. Swap the good trans into the 1/2 ton and you should have a solid runner.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
watahyahknow

the idea with the new springs for normal driving is good i would go for the 3/4 ton springs and have a decent drive empty and add airbags in the back to level the truck out when the load gets heavier you dont even need an on board airsystem you could put a tirevalve near the numberplate and fill the system using a tire inflater at a gasstation .
we in europe have special shocks called loadadjusters wish have the bags built intoo them , dunno if they would work on the heavier trucks though we drive compact stationwagons

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 09-13-2007 at 02:51 PM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
Pyrotechnic

3/4 ton springs would be a good choice. As stated before, the hardest part is grinding the rivets out of the rear hangers. Get the 8 leaf version, and make sure you get a good set of shocks. I recommend Monroe Gas Magnums.

You should be able to haul quite a bit. I doubt you will be pushing the limit of the stock 12 bolt rear axle. My GMC came with the heavy duty chassis equipment package which is 3/4 ton suspension and brakes. The rear was very stiff and did not sag at all.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote