The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Patina66

Project '66...

Hey guys I'm pretty new on here - been browsing for a while. I picked up this '66 short stepside on ebay a couple months back and it arrived into the UK a couple weeks ago. I have always been a VW guy and own my own shop doing VW suspension modification, but have always admired these 60's trucks. I always wanted a short fleetside, but when I saw this with the original paint and the tire mount I fell for it. I have a real thing for faded original paint and lowered suspension.

Plans are to buff out the paint, do the metalwork, then blend with a color match and swap the badly dented rear fender for the better one that came with it. Then drop spindles and disc brakes, maybe some 2" blocks for the rear and a c notch. I guess I got lucky, as the suspension is already lowered on coils, but I don't know how much. It has an adjustable rear track bar and shock relocator kit installed. I plan to do some logos for my shop on the doors when it is done and use it to tow VW buses from Europe and the docks on a trailer. I also need to find a nice stepside rear bumper, as I can only find suppliers for chrome ones. Maybe I'll turn up a good used one..? These are the pics of the day I collected it from the shipper.

The bed had been repainted at some point in a similar color to the original, fortunately this sands off easily with wet 400 or 600 wet and dry. Here I have exposed the original paint underneath

I have been removing the flames and door logos, but they must have used house paint or something, it won't come off unless you sand it and takes the original paint off underneath. I painted the Chevrolet on the grille in black as original and have been wet sanding with 2000 grit and buffing the paint. It is turning out awesome. All this is until I can let my wallet recover and order some parts and panels. It needs 1 outer rocker, both front fender rear sections, 1 outrigger/floor support and some door repairs. Apart from this it is rust free.
I plan to powder coat the stock rims black and fit thin band whitewall radial tires. Anyone know a supplier for these?

Patina66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Stepside65
Still Truckless!

Re: Project '66...

Looks like a good start. Good luck.
1997 Nissan Pickup Father-in-law's tonka toy I am forced to drive
Founder of The 60-66 Club

Tutor Et Ultor
Stepside65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
slepysal

Cheers from this side of the pond ! The tyres should be fairly easy to find. Keep us posted

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
gulfcoast66
64-66 CHEVY JUNKIE

Good original find, good luck on your project.
2017 GMC Serra 4x4 5.3 Vortec, 4l60-E
Do It In A Chevrolet
gulfcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
L0WRIDE

looks like you got a good find good luck
90 CHEVROLET EXTRA CAB
CHEVY ONLY - NZ Chapter

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=137984
L0WRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:40 AM   #6
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

not sure if they'd have what you're looking for, but have you tried Coker Tire? www.coker.com

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
BIG CTY
Between the earth and the sky

Looks like a great truck, and you have all your plans laid out! Welcome and good luck with it!
1976 Dodge Tradesman B200
2002 Nissan Maxima 6 speed
2004 Mercedes Benz CL500
BIG CTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
hewlett2002000

nice truck, looks like a good place to start from... good luck
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Patina66

Wow, thanks for a great welcome!

I checked coker's website before, but couldn't find what I am looking for. I know I have seen them on other trucks, so I'm sure they are out there. I thought about using portawalls, but they never seem to sit right and I would have to buy 2 sets to include the spare tire.

I started knocking the dents out of the spare drivers rear fender tonight with a hammer and dolly. I'm far from a professional at panel beating but it is coming out pretty well. I have roughed out most of the large dents for now. I think I will bare metal it to finish getting it straight, as I don't want to use ANY bondo on it. I figure if it has a couple small imperfections it will go with the truck. Bit of a ****ty before pic, as it is the ebay one. It had dents all along the upper curve including the ones you can see at the upper rear corner. It also has a crease on the lower rear side and the arch lip has been tweaked a little and split. There is a little rust at the front edge which I will repair, but it is very saveable, especially with the prices of rear fenders being so high. It is also MUCH better then the one that is on there, which is pretty badly dented and has a load of cracked bondo
Old 09-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
Chops_by_Chase

the truck is looking great, good luck to you,
Chops_by_Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:45 AM   #11
fercho71

nice truck good start from San Diego
Old 09-15-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
Patina66

Thanks for the replies. I worked a little on the spare rear fender today. There was some rust in the lower front corner, so I bare metalled it, then cut out 2 pieces and butt welded in 2 small patches.
Before:

During:

After:

The pic is not great, but it looks good. With a little bit more grinding and maybe a little lead or a tiny skim of filler it will be perfect.
I then bare metalled the upper rear corner, as this had a stubborn deep dent about the size of a fist and lots of other small dents. It took a little while, but the big dent is gone and perfectly smooth and the smaller ones are almost there.

I am pleased with the progress so far, hoping to have it bare metalled and straight in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately I have a hell of a lot of work on at the moment and I have to do a weeks training for the programme my little boy is on, so I am working the weekends to try and catch up.
Last but not least, I added a couple of vintage decals I got to the rear window..
Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Preacher

Great truck to start out with. Looks like you have things well underway. Funny you should mention your a VW guy, I just got a 73 Karmann Ghia a couple of weeks ago. Maybe we can trade info on each others projects.
2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

Isaiah 40:8 "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever."
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #14
Tomsriv

Wow, that truck is my twin, its even the same color. What motor does yours have? Mine has been replaced with a 350 and a 200-4R tranny.

IMHO if you are going to replace that fender, why not get one without the spare tire, er, tyre cutout. I think it looks better with round fenders and usable step sides. They use the same rear fenders from 55-66. The only disadvantage is if you add a rear fuel tank then you have to throw your spare tyre on top of the load like below.

Here are a couple parts links for you
http://www.classicparts.com/
http://www.lmctruck.com/index.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by Tomsriv; 09-18-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Tomsriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:55 AM   #15
Patina66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Great truck to start out with. Looks like you have things well underway. Funny you should mention your a VW guy, I just got a 73 Karmann Ghia a couple of weeks ago. Maybe we can trade info on each others projects.
Sounds cool. Check out my shop website www.thebusstation.com there is a blog on there with all the stuff I am doing.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:39 AM   #16
Patina66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsriv View Post
Wow, that truck is my twin, its even the same color. What motor does yours have? Mine has been replaced with a 350 and a 200-4R tranny.

IMHO if you are going to replace that fender, why not get one without the spare tire, er, tyre cutout. I think it looks better with round fenders and usable step sides. They use the same rear fenders from 55-66. The only disadvantage is if you add a rear fuel tank then you have to throw your spare tyre on top of the load like below.
You know, one of the things I really like is the spare tire mount above the fender and I think it looks great when the wheel/tire matches the rest. Nice truck though, makes me realise what mine would look like with more paint.. Mine has the 283 with a 4 speed trans and positraction rear axle. It has the specs still behind the seat and in the glovebox.