The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
BB72CHEVKT

custom camper bed ?

Are custom camper bed the same length as a longhorn. If so what is one worth in good condition?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: custom camper bed ?

there's a lot of confusion on this due to GMC's retarded marketing plan.
There were 2 kinds of custom campers.
The Chevy custom camper, was nothing but a front sway bar, HD tires, springs, shocks and badges.
GMC also had a Custom Camper that was the same as the Chevy.
This package was put on regular 3/4 ton trucks, with an 8 foot bed, and (without looking at my notes) i think it could be had on 8 foot step side trucks, and maybe even 1/2 ton trucks. (again, goin off my kinda decent-ish memory)
Now... the confusing part.
The GMC's version of the Longhorn was called... yep, you guessed it, the Custom Camper. Same script on the doors too.
So you need to look at the bed. Look for the exteded section in the front, 6 inches back from the leading edge. If there is a verticle line where the added pannel was welded on, it's a longhorn bed.

Now, value.
you'd think they would be worth some good money. However, unless it is in awsome shape, you'll have problems getting rid of it. These trucks are far and few between, and a lot of ppl won't go on a road trip for a bed. It is semi common to find a longhorn truck, with the cab and front clip missing, donated to a SWB build up.
if it is a cherry bed, and you have the room to store it... by all means, go get it. However, don't expect to 'flip' it for mega profit in 2 weeks. It could happen, but it isn't likely.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
BB72CHEVKT

Re: custom camper bed ?

Thanks LM. I will go look at it. I think the whole truck could be picked up for $500. It has a 350 with a cracked block and turbo 400, 3/4 ton,automatic with a/c. It also will need new front bumper and grill and possibly a hood. It has been parked in the field for the last few years and the guy said rockers etc were good when it was parked. Thanks again.