The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2007, 02:07 AM   #1
old_is_new

the need for speed.

So I just got back from the track. Since there weren't any trucks other than the usual luvs and s-10's, I got to thinking about the newly aquired 68 short step my neighboor gave me. Any experience in builds for 8th mile? Im curious as to how much motor I need to push this thing into mid 6's low 7's. These trucks aren't as light as the heavies luv. Definately big block, and I want to stay n/a.
old_is_new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
dave3156

Re: the need for speed.

These are way too heavy to go that quick. You would have to abandon the frame and essentially use the "funny car" technology with alot of fibreglass body parts. From what I have seen you can't go that fast with these without tubing the frame. Of coarse it depends on what you want to spend too. With enough money, anything is possible.
dave3156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
revn67

ehh slap some fiberglass bodyparts on there and get a nelson racing engine in that truck and see what happens i dunno though, 6's or 7's might be a stretch....unless of course your pockets are deep, then go for it!

"finish your beer, theres sober kids in india!"
revn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Robznob11

build a 540 or 555 that will push up to about 750 hp they will go even higher if you want it full race and go with high comp, will will need a good set of heads to get 750-900 hp but it is acheavable, you can run a 16 wide slick with no problems just the correct bs on the wheel like 7.5 or or more and you will have to use a wheel tub but not cut the frame, then you need to get her a light as possible if you can afford fiber glass good but if not gut every thing loose the core support and tailgate inner fenders and you could trimm the inner doors, lexan a must, remove heater box,wiper motor, golve box door you get the picture, and if you have the skill cut out the fire wall and set you motor as far back as you can i done mine and had a locoal shop build me a new deeper fire wall insert for 30.00 bucks. the lower you can get it to the ground the better and since your running the 8th go with deep gears, i run 30 spline mosers with a spool, you can get a th350 from redneck performance that will hold your hp for 1250 bucks and that comes with a transbrake, th400 rob to much power, oh bye the way i know you want na but if that aint fast enough for you a 150 shot is pretty safe you are going to need a msd box any ways and you can just retard your timing with a twist of a knob and hit the juice, good luck and dont forget the cage or they will kick you off the track
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
old_is_new

Thanks for all the input Rob, must hang out at the track huh? Yeah I know its heavy, Im thinking its not practical for those times. maybe 7's and 8's. I Think with a bowtie block and some afr heads I could maybe reach those times. As much as I dont want to, a 150 shot might be neccesary. Here in the next week or so I'll be getting the truck, (have to get a trailer), and hopefully start stripping if I dont get caught up with school or work.
old_is_new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3156 View Post
These are way too heavy to go that quick. You would have to abandon the frame and essentially use the "funny car" technology with alot of fibreglass body parts. From what I have seen you can't go that fast with these without tubing the frame. Of coarse it depends on what you want to spend too. With enough money, anything is possible.
There are quite a few trucks that prove you wrong.It`s all power to weight ratio anyway.These trucks can run in the low-10s@1/4 mile.I`m sure 6sec@1/8 is possible on full-frame.

BTW:1/8 mile is for wussies,anyway.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-16-2007 at 08:36 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_is_new View Post
As much as I dont want to, a 150 shot might be neccesary. .

Don't wimp out --- a 2 stage fogger system can jam enough happy gas in there for a 4 or 500 hp bump if your bottom end can handle it. huge headers and exhaust valves will maximize it. Then i can see you getting close to your goals, provided your long block is good for 5-600hp motor only.

The multiple stage system will help the traction issue a teeny bit

i have no chassis advice that is any different from what anybody else said
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
dave3156

Reread my post, I never said it was impossible, just not practical. I guess someone may have missed the point in what I was saying. Lighter is faster was the message. Get rid of the heavy frame and it will be alot easier to do it. Its alot cheaper to make frame mods than to build an engine without nitrous that has 600-700 hp. Also you can keep it steetable and still have the fun. Next time your at the track look at the frames you see. Very few have not been changed.To put it another way, the GVWR of one of our trucks is 6700 lb. The GVWR of a 96 S10 is 4200 lb. Everyone at the track running in the 6's has made substantial engine mods. How can you compensate for a 2500 lb GVWR difference with just more horsepower? You need to loose the weight, these things are sleds!

Last edited by dave3156; 09-17-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
streetstar

Check this one out

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=221443

rock and roll
Old 09-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
dave3156

I was just using the GVWRs to make a point. Your response was excellent though. Alot would have to change to make it happen. When you were done, very little of the original truck would be left and the cost would be high. Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to start with a different platform to start with? I guess thats where personal preference comes in. In the early 70's I saw a guy put a V8 in a Volkswagon Fastback!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #11
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3156 View Post
IWouldn't it be easier and cheaper to start with a different platform to start with? I guess thats where personal preference comes in. !

Bingo! I posted my Camaro pic in a crude attempt to illustrate that. The car is admittedly heavy for a Pro/Mod car, but even if you could get a truck in its weight range, you are still throwing a large brick out there, as compared to a car's more wedgelike profile --- even so, i have seen some fast bricks--

If you are completely removing all of the vehicle's utility value as a truck and committing to life as a full time racecar, why not start with a car? Unless the sanctioning body decides to have a separate truck class (which would be very cool)
Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #12
Robznob11

well a 2500 dollar blower will put a mild streetable 355 sbc at 600-700 hp and you cant make a custom chassie for that besides that the rear trailing arm suspension with adjustable shocks and long panhard bar is the next best thing to a 4 link only thing better about a 4 link is that you can shorten the bars side to side to make it go strait out of the hole other wise the trailing arm suspension will hook good not to mention has good ride qualitys, and i think if you lost the glass bed floor and other items mentioned and went with an aluminum small block you should be able to get below 3700 lbs depends how fat the driver is but from the original post here looks to me like he wants to go fast not cruse every day, and on another not we took a s10 2650 with driver, 350 sbc with 160$ paw rebuild kit, (flat top pistons) 0 deck block,15 thousands copper head shims,292 isky mega cam,780 carb, and single plane intake and th350 w373 gears and ran 11 flat on pump gas, its all about the combo and hooking some times the car or truck with less hp wins....
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote