The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Silvius

Need some advice on a 72

Hello again. Hopefully I posted this in the correct forum.

I came across a 72 for sale that I am considering purchasing.

The good:
It runs and drives well, steering and suspension seem to be in good shape

Body appears to be straight

Cab corners and rockers have been replaced

Newer seat cover

General appearance is good

Cheyenne Super, it has ps, pb, air (not currently working) and the rear cargo light and some other typical extras

Glass is in really nice shape

Price isn't cheap but seems reasonable

The bad:

Some rust (but perhaps not so bad, I took some pics)

Needs some finishing (wiper motors, turn signals, rear bumper brackets, a couple of odds and ends).

Paint job is medicore (it doesn't look as good in person as it does in the pics) and the color is not a 72 chevy color (I prefer one of the original colors and it is too bad that it was painted in something other than the original red/white) The metallic Cayman blue color does look nice in the sun though.

The engine isn't original (but runs well, had a recent bottom end rebuild). It is a 350 4V.

Overall, it looks good, but not quite as good as the pics show....you know how it is hard to capture reality with pictures sometimes.

What is a fair price here? Not a "steal it" price, not a retail price, but a fair cash deal. It won't be a daily driver, but it does need to be reliable.

Thanks for any input!

In some of the pics below, I specifically took pictures of what I had concerns about. Most of the underside doesn't look bad.

Last edited by Silvius; 09-18-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Silvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Silvius

Re: Need some advice on a 72

Old 09-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Silvius

Also:

The front grill is in okay shape (I didn't take pictures of some grill wear/damage)

It needs rear bumper connectors (for lack of a better term) but a new chrome rear bumper is included.

A/C system has not been converted to the new refrigerant

An unpainted original tailgate is included in ok shape.

Wood bed was recently redone, it isn't perfect but looks pretty good

Last edited by Silvius; 09-16-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
67Mach1

It this truck in the Austin area? I think it might be a GMC with Chevy front end if it is the truck I am thinking about.

Make sure you look at the title it that bothers you.

Thomas

67 GMC Shortbed 454 Project
more junk and most of it
is for sale
67Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
Silvius

No, I am quite a bit north of there.

I did check out the title though, good point. The seller thought it was a 71 but it is a 72. I checked out the glove box options too and they seemed to match up.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
Silvius

bump
Old 09-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
mkhutch
Throbbing Member

My guess would be around $3000. It has some good pieces, but will need some work.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
mkhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:52 AM   #8
Silvius

Thanks....more opinions out there?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Overall it appears to be nice truck.Trucks in my area are getting good money, a rust bucket hacked up brings ~ $3000. I would say $6000 range would be a fair price if its what you want (IE; short bed vrs long bed) especially if it has all documents that backs up what he says is done, like receipts for the engine work & protect-o-plates are nice to have too.
Look at it this way, if it’s all done the way you would have done it you will saving money. If not, can you live with it the way it is? You said it’s not the color you preferred, so if you plan on changing the color you may consider passing on the deal. Changing the color will cost allot & if you don’t have time/money this may be a deal breaker.
I think it’s cheaper to redo a red/white truck to original than changing what you have back to red/white.
Hope this helps.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
steveshow
Account Suspended

Is the SPID label intact? It appears that some of the Cheyenne Super specific features are missing (door panels, woodgrain inst. cluster, upper/ lower side moldings). Does the tailgate have the aluminum insert w/ chrome "CHEVROLET" letters? Does it have a headliner? If it is a true Cheyenne Super, it should. These are $$$ if you want to make it correct. As is, the truck APPEARS to be a CUSTOM/10 that somone stuck CHEYENNE SUPER emblems and glove box door on
steveshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
streetstar

Its straight --- the rockers have some rust visible from underneath --- but i would not even raise an eyebrow if you told me the seller was asking 6 or 7000 for it ---- although 4-5000 would be better. Longbeds are cheaper as a general rule than shorties, and all the side moldings are gone on this one-- so even if it is a Super - some of the parts that make it a "Super" have been removed.

Kind of like trying to sell a '69 Z28 with a 427 in it. It might be fast, but its not right
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #12
Silvius

Thanks....all of the responses have helped.

He still has the Cheyenne Super trim upon me inquiring about it. He did mention previously that he replaced the gauge bezel, so that would explain that part. The door panels he didn't know about, so they might have been replaced at some point. I can see that it did have a headliner once. So, I will check to see if the VIN matches the glove box label that says it is a Cheyenne Super. I think that it is, but good call....I should make sure.

I can deal with the changes that have been made (color, engine, etc) depending on what price he'll accept.

Thanks again for the input. I gather that the rust I showed in the pics isn't that bad based on the responses.

Last edited by Silvius; 09-17-2007 at 06:25 PM.