The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
my70chevyc10

Voltage regulator

I just started my truck and the regulator is clicking and i dont know why. I turned it off and restarted it and it doesnt click any help would be helpfull.
my70chevyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Voltage regulator

Voltage regulators are not my strong point and when mine have gone bad, I've just replaced them. Both of my trucks had the old style mechenical type and I converted to the new style.

Irregardless, you may want to check that all of the other electrical components are working correctly. That is, the battery and cables, a good ground to the engine and frame and no shorts elsewhere.

Do this check also:
With the engine running, measure the voltage across the battery. It should be about 14 to 15 volts or thereabouts. If it's lower, say around 13 volts or less, then you may have a bad alternator. If it's high around 16 or more volts, then your voltage regulator may be bad. It's possible to damage the battery if the voltage is too high.

If all looks good, make sure the voltage regulator connector are clean, also the battery cables, ground connecting points to the engine and to the frame...

Hope this helps.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

These old regulators have electro-mechanical points in them that open and close according to the state of charge of the battery and the amperage draw on the electrical system. They will click when they open and close in normal operation but if they do so at a rapid rate it may be because of a poor commection on the wiring connection or a bad ground from the regulator to the grill support.Or it could also mean they are wearing out. As 68GMsee said It's so easy to convert to the internally regulated alternator it just makes sense to do so.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
Aarons72s

I hate those mechanical voltage regulators. To me they are good fire starters. I found the best thing to do was get an electronic replacement type. They are usually reall cheap as compared to a new mechanical one. They are easy to tell when you buy one at the parts store. They look like the old style but they way nothing and the shell is rivited instead of being scred on. Plus they have one really good thing about them. The old mechanical ones love jam full on and overload the electrical system and cause the wires to melt and catch on fire, dont ask how I know. But the electronicx ones I have found if they overload or if there is a short they just burn there circuit board up. So no electrical fire. Hope this helps.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote