The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
AlienYouth

electrical short?

so, i've been having some electrical issues...

friday, my battery dies..., i get a jump and it gets me home, but wont start back up...
saturday mornin, get new battery, runs fine, turns off and back on and all that good stuff saturday afternoon, go get gas, wont turn back on, few laps around wawa and a jumpstart later, it's all good...
saturday evenin, started right up many times
sunday mornin, starts fine, after church, starts fine, go to work, come out on break, and it tries to turn a little but wont start...
then, it dont turn at all... tried to jump it, tried to push start it, nothing. not even my little interior light or radio would turn on. one little led on my battery tester stayed on, unless i tried to use the radio, lights, ect... the battery monitor said it was good when we had the jumpers connected, but it acted the same way, i'm thinking it's a lose or corroded main positive wire thats restricting too much current, but i couldnt get the fusebox off in the walmart parkin lot, so ima have to drive my f*rd (with chevy badges to cover the shame of course) to school tomorow. is this a common problem? maybe an easy fix? plz???? anything!?!?!! electrical problems make me wanna hit things...

thanks for any help!

and srry bout the long post, figured it would be best to be descriptive
AlienYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
kxnomore

Re: electrical short?

You're going to want to get a voltmeter. Check the voltage first when the engine is not running. It should be 12 to 13 volts. If you have less volts charge the battery or get a jump before step 2.

Then (step 2) while running it should be 13 to 15 volts. If the voltage doesn't jump right up when running you have a bad alternator or regulator.

If it does go to step 3.

Most voltmeters also have a ammeter guage, too. This will help check if there is any short or battery drain with the key off. the voltmeter will have directions on how to connect up the little leads, but basically you put the voltmeter in between the disconnected ground cable and the ground terminal on the battery. Turn off everything. There should be zero amps. If you open the door or turn on some small light it should measure some micro amps as a test of the meter, (or draw). If there is a drain on the battery, or a short, I think it would show up during this test.

There are some guys on this board who are way good at this stuff and will have better feedback.

Good luck, I hate electrical stuff too.
kxnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

After checking to see you are charging(use a volt meter to check battery for approx.13.9v while running)
Check for drain on the battery, With all acc and key (OFF) put a test light or 12v bulb between the battery post and the cable(dont try to start or run anything). If the light comes on, then you have something drawing power when it should'nt. Start disconnecting things, I start with the ALT. because sometimes you get a bleed through it.Then pull fuses and hope that one of them turnes off the light then you will know where to direct your search for the short.
Attached Images

sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
AlienYouth

thanks, ill be goin to fix it this afternoon, wish me luck : )
AlienYouth is offline   Reply With Quote