The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
jlaird

what to look for in donor vehicle

I'm looking for a running donor vechicle for the engine/trans for my 69. I'm wondering what I should be looking for. I know I want a 350 w/carb, but other than that, I'm kind of clueless. I'm also undecided whether or not to go with man. or auto trans, so what are the preferable trans of each? Is 2bolt vs 4bolt main important? If so, is there any way to tell from the outside? What about heads, year of truck, etc? thanks.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: what to look for in donor vehicle

I think your question needs to be a little more specific for answers.

Are you wanting to keep it as stock as possible?
Is this going to be a daily driver or a show truck?
Are you looking for power and speed?
Light or heavy towing?
Automatic versus manual is basically a preference. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

I think, to begin with, find the engine you are looking for as a starter. A 2 bolt will be fine for regular driving. Then go from there.

The vehicle you buy may or may not have the tranny you want but you can always trade later.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I think your question needs to be a little more specific for answers.

Are you wanting to keep it as stock as possible?
Is this going to be a daily driver or a show truck?
Are you looking for power and speed?
Light or heavy towing?
Automatic versus manual is basically a preference. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

I think, to begin with, find the engine you are looking for as a starter. A 2 bolt will be fine for regular driving. Then go from there.

The vehicle you buy may or may not have the tranny you want but you can always trade later.

I would add that HEI is definitely preferable. Here in California, they are tightening up on the smog laws, and I believe that more motors are going to become available as a result. Post '75 vehicles need to have the original smog equiptment that they were manufactured with; otherwise they won't pass smog- it doesn't matter if the motor passes the emissions test or not. Silly law; but again, an opprtuity for someone looking for a motor if your vehicle was built before 1975.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
I'm looking for a running donor vechicle for the engine/trans for my 69. I'm wondering what I should be looking for. I know I want a 350 w/carb, but other than that, I'm kind of clueless. I'm also undecided whether or not to go with man. or auto trans, so what are the preferable trans of each? Is 2bolt vs 4bolt main important? If so, is there any way to tell from the outside? What about heads, year of truck, etc? thanks.
Any Chevy car or truck from the lates 60's to mid 80's would be fine. There are a lot of beat up old trucks out there that still run good, and big cars like Caprices, Impalas, 4 door Malibus and even Monte Carlos in those years that can be bought fairly cheap. I used try to look for clean lower mileage totalled out cars/trucks because they were usually running fine right before they were wrecked. If you go with an engine after '81, iot would be goiod idea to geta carb from an older model to keep from having to fool with the computer controlled emission crap.

Auto trannys are gonna be most common in cars, and usually more desireable in trucks.

For a street driving engine there is really no advantage to having a 4 bolt main, so that's a non-issue.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
jlaird

Thanks for the replies. Heres some more info. I basically want to get something in the truck cheap so I can drive the thing. If I had the money, I would just get a crate, maybe down the road. But for now, I'm looking for something that will get me up and running and possibly be a foundation for a rebuild with performance parts in the future. My truck isn't my daily driver, just a "joy ride!" I already have a th350 that I can use, but always wanted a stick, so that is why I said I was undecided.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
jlaird

I saw a truck yesterday sitting on the side of the road for sale for $400. It was a 92 c/k 1500 (I think it was ck?) Anyway I popped the hood and it looks to be a stock TBI engine. (This is kind of new to me) I still have to call the guy to get details, but would this engine be a good candidate if she runs good?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post

I would add that HEI is definitely preferable. Here in California, they are tightening up on the smog laws, and I believe that more motors are going to become available as a result. Post '75 vehicles need to have the original smog equiptment that they were manufactured with; otherwise they won't pass smog- it doesn't matter if the motor passes the emissions test or not. Silly law; but again, an opprtuity for someone looking for a motor if your vehicle was built before 1975.
Silly California
Old 09-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
72armyswbtruck

There are two schools of thought regarding parts vehicles,
First is if you are going to be using the truck for parts same era as your truck I would pick a 71 or 72 1/2 with disc brakes and power brakes to use on your truck, the rest of the parts you will need you can take from that truck, it is easiest to find a running truck of those years because then you don't have to worry about paying for storage if they run and are licensed
Second:
If you go with a newer vehicle for the TBI make sure that you get the whole vehicle, because alot of times people hack the wiring harness' and you end up missing parts and pieces. Once you have the engine and tranny in your truck up and running then part out or haul the left over vehicle to the dump

I know