The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
steveshow
Account Suspended

SWB fleet bed/ bed sides question

(BTW, I live NW of Austin Texas). Here is my idea. I plan to build a SWB truck. I have a ‘72 Custom Deluxe LWB to start with. I also have a bare SWB frame. The driver bed side is perfect, the pass side has been side swiped, and someone cut the tail light area off this same side (donor for another truck?), good front sheet metal (even the pass fender, rad support and inner fender!) I recently came across a fellow parting out around a half dozen 68-72 Chevy trucks, mainly 71-72. One of my purchases was a perfect pass side LWB fleet bed side. I also bought a ‘68 fleet side bed for $100. The bed floor is in very good shape, with the only flaw being someone cut a hole about 1 ¼” in the middle for a gooseneck hitch (in a short bed!) HOWEVER, the bed sides are less than perfect. It looks like this was a true farm truck, and it was regularly taken through ditches (?) or maybe it was blow outs, as both lower bed sides behind the tires are rolled/ folded up. Also, the passenger side in front of the tire has a dent and about 5 lbs of Bondo. THE BED DOES NOT HAVE RUST THROUGH ANYWHERE, ONLY SURFACE RUST) I am thinking of cutting out at least the pass side and using it as a template to cut the good LWB side to fit, possibly doing the same to the driver side. Would this be easier than cutting down the whole LWB fleet bed to fit the SWB frame? I am also about 99% sure I will buy a 72 SWB rolling chassis (supposedly “rebuilt” rear with 3.73 open gears , SWB bed (better than the first I bought, but truck was rolled and repair to driver tail light area) and very nice Cheyenne Super tailgate ( not from same truck as chassis and bed) for $350. The problem is I got married a week ago. I have to decide if it is worth it to be in the dog house for another month when I drag it home. Women don’t understand “collectibles”. They see “junk”.
steveshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: SWB fleet bed/ bed sides question

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshow View Post
The problem is I got married a week ago. I have to decide if it is worth it to be in the dog house for another month when I drag it home. Women don’t understand “collectibles”. They see “junk”.

If you just got married, here's your chance to find out if she is a keeper. (the truck that is)

Man, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes at this time. If you are already in the doghouse and your wife doesn't appreciate "collectibles" like we do, then you may be there for a long time with this project. From what I've heard, it's time consuming and labor intensive. Plus you will have parts scattered all over your yard.

Sorry can't help you any on the other problems with the shortening of the truck.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
67Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshow View Post
(BTW, I live NW of Austin Texas). Here is my idea. I plan to build a SWB truck. I have a ‘72 Custom Deluxe LWB to start with. I also have a bare SWB frame. The driver bed side is perfect, the pass side has been side swiped, and someone cut the tail light area off this same side (donor for another truck?), good front sheet metal (even the pass fender, rad support and inner fender!) I recently came across a fellow parting out around a half dozen 68-72 Chevy trucks, mainly 71-72. One of my purchases was a perfect pass side LWB fleet bed side. I also bought a ‘68 fleet side bed for $100. The bed floor is in very good shape, with the only flaw being someone cut a hole about 1 ¼” in the middle for a gooseneck hitch (in a short bed!) HOWEVER, the bed sides are less than perfect. It looks like this was a true farm truck, and it was regularly taken through ditches (?) or maybe it was blow outs, as both lower bed sides behind the tires are rolled/ folded up. Also, the passenger side in front of the tire has a dent and about 5 lbs of Bondo. THE BED DOES NOT HAVE RUST THROUGH ANYWHERE, ONLY SURFACE RUST) I am thinking of cutting out at least the pass side and using it as a template to cut the good LWB side to fit, possibly doing the same to the driver side. Would this be easier than cutting down the whole LWB fleet bed to fit the SWB frame? I am also about 99% sure I will buy a 72 SWB rolling chassis (supposedly “rebuilt” rear with 3.73 open gears , SWB bed (better than the first I bought, but truck was rolled and repair to driver tail light area) and very nice Cheyenne Super tailgate ( not from same truck as chassis and bed) for $350. The problem is I got married a week ago. I have to decide if it is worth it to be in the dog house for another month when I drag it home. Women don’t understand “collectibles”. They see “junk”.

You and I need to get together and talk. I live up in Round Rock and have been Married for 10+ years to a very supportive wife. She has let me gather between 18-21 project/trucks/cars and other junkers. Fortunatley for me we have an agreement about how many projects at home at one time, and I have land about two hours away to store the ones I cant get to... Yet.

Recently I ahve been selling as I realized that I cant fix all of them. Of course buying only when something better came up too. Gotta Upgrade...

My opinion is that if you were like this before she married you keep on adding to get what you need then sell extra parts. If it is something you just got addicted to you might want to slow down and break her in on it little by little. Mine started 7 years ago with two mustangs and two F100 project cars and again I am up to about 20 or so now. My wife still loves me and supports my sickness, as long as she can park her car in the garage at night and I dont junk out the back yard too often with extra parts. Or at least have a big tarp to cover them up with..

Good luck.

67 GMC Shortbed 454 Project
more junk and most of it
is for sale

Last edited by 67Mach1; 09-18-2007 at 04:22 PM.
67Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:26 AM   #4
steveshow
Account Suspended

Fortunately, or unfrotunately, dependingon how you look at it, I have hadthe car truck 'diseasefor about 25 yrs ( I am 36 now) so she knew what she was getting into...

I bought the 72 SWBrolling chassis today, the bed on this one is better, needs less work, nice Cheyenne Super tailgate, 72 hood, top of it is perfect, bottom has rust holes (?) sliding rear window, good cowl panelmisc small parts likestock wiper ars, Cheyenne pedal trim,front bumper blinker assys. for $350. She did not kill me when I drug it in, as I sold a front clip and sea off a 94 3/4ton Chevy this AM for $500...
steveshow is offline   Reply With Quote