The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
raiden7800
Straight "6" Shooter

Exclamation May be forced to sell.... :( Need opinions!

Classes are coming up, and work is gonna be filled in between. Winter here in Oregon isnt the harshest, but it isnt the nicest either. This is where I stand.

Right now, my truck is out of comission. It needs alot of work and new parts. With the forced sale of my other vehicles, I now have only the truck to drive. I think I have found a suitable replacement for the truck, for 500 bucks, it is a 81 SWB 1/2 ton with a 350/TH350 combo. Here is the link to it:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/car/414262144.html

On the basis of needing a vehicle NOW that will run/drive w/o me having to worry about getting somewhere, this little truck looks very appealing. (I had an 81 3/4 ton scottsdale, and I loved it... worst mistake... getting rid of it for a F$%#.... I am still beating myself over that.. feel free to help )

On the basis of having an awesome 42 year old truck, the one I have currently looks appealing. I can somewhat feasibly keep both of them (the 65 will just have to wait in storage for an unknown amount of time ), but being the caring (penny pinching) person that I am, I would much rather see it go to someone who will actually repair it, something that I have been doing, and have run out of time to do.

The 65 currently needs:

A new rearend, transmission, clutch, wheel bearings, new brake parts all the way around incl. master cyl., shocks, springs, new heater motor, exhaust and various non-integral parts not worth mentioning.

What I am expecting the new truck to need:

Rearend fluid flush, trans flush, rad flush, oil change, tuneup, brake bleed (for peace of mind), and other non-integral parts not worth mentioning.

This is the biggest factor... money.

If I keep my current truck, my dollars wont go as far, and I will still have a large list of parts that need to be repaired/replaced. If I buy the new truck, and sell my 65, I can use that money to do the maintenance and TLC that it will most assuredly need, and I will (hopefully) have a more reliable vehicle.

If I buy the new truck, and keep my current truck, I will have less money to do maintenance and TLC repairs to the new truck, and still have a money shortage issue.

Putting the 65 in storage is another prob.... I have nowhere to put it, and cant afford to pay for a suitable storage area. I also do not have a car to borrow after this week ( am currently driving a friends car), otherwise, keeping and repairing the 65 would be more realistic.

I know how passionate we can be about our trucks, and that is why I am opening my situation to this board of intelligent individuals who not only think with their brain, but with their hearts.

I figure it this way, at least if I do go with the new truck, at least it will be a CHEVY! And I will still be on this site! If you need more info... please... let me know.. I will check this thread until I make a decision. Which will be quick.. so if you have words of wisdom and encouragement, or dogging on me about the F#%$ situation from the past... let them flow!

If you listen intently, you can hear a FORD rusting in the distance.

My LUG NUTS take more TORQUE than your HONDA makes!

Last edited by raiden7800; 09-19-2007 at 04:49 AM.
raiden7800 is offline   Reply With Quote