The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
70cst

Resto...Rebuild factory SAC...or...Use Vintage Air?

As many of you know I am planning on the resto of my 70cst this fall and winter. From my research the cost of refurbishing the factory AC will be about the same cost as a new Vintage Air system. The Vintage Air uses the factory vents and controls. I want to keep my truck as close to stock looking as possible but I have changed out the 6 lug to 5 lug and it will be lowered a bit....so it has been modified a wee bit. So is the Vintage Air more efficient than the factory ac? My truck has a factory 402 BB verses a 350...does that make any difference? What recommendations do you all have? Do I stick with my factory system or change it over? Thanks in advance.
PS...what about other aftermarket ac systems?

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 09-21-2007 at 12:12 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Resto...Rebuild factory SAC...or...Use Vintage Air?

There was a post on here a few days ago, listing a complete system for our trucks. I noticed in the last issue of Classic Trucks that the same company also has compressor kit to replace the old-style compressors we have and include everything we need to upgrade (reliably) to a new compressor and R-134.

Check out www.classicautoair.com for details.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
70cst

Thanks ChevLoRay...
I appreciate the info.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 09-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
SactoJim

If you're trying to leave it as stock appearing as possible then I would restore the stock AC system.

After market systems drastically change the look inside the engine compartment and if your trying to maintain that "stock" look why change, especially if you already have all the components for a stock AC system.

Aftermarket systems (like Vintage Air) work pretty good, but so does a properly operating factory AC system.

My truck had factory air, but I chose to put a Vintage AC system in it to mainly clean up the engine compartment.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
70cst

You are correct SactoJim...I do want to keep it as close to stock looking as I can. I went to the www.classicautoair.com site and it looked like they have all that I need to do a full factory restore. The factory ac is all there as it just needs to be rebuilt. With that being said I think I am convincing myself to stay factory. Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
GSFMECH
On the road

I'm running the factory AC with a POA eliminator made by Old air products. I have mine converted to 134A. There is a real good write up in the FAQ for doing this. I think you could rebuild it for half what a aftermarket cost if your evaporator and condensor are still useable but the aftermarket condensor really helps them cool better as well. Check it out in the FAQ.

Mike

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
You are correct SactoJim...I do want to keep it as close to stock looking as I can. I went to the www.classicautoair.com site and it looked like they have all that I need to do a full factory restore. The factory ac is all there as it just needs to be rebuilt. With that being said I think I am convincing myself to stay factory. Thanks again.
I would keep it stock. Almost. I'd use R134a instead of R12. R12 is much more efficient i.e. colder than R134a but a pick-up cab is pretty small so converting to R134a is financially a good decision.

Convert you POA to work with R134a.
Read this:
http://www.autoacforum.com/messagevi...&threadid=7567

All you need to do is the procedure outlined in the above forum thread.
Then:
Replace all your o-rings. ($10 at ackits)
New receiver dryer. $30-$40
New hose assembly ($90 at LMC)
Buy your R134a at Wal*Mart on clearance in the fall for $3/can.
Oh and you'll need approximately 10 ounces of oil that works with R134a. I've seen that on the shelf at NAPA.

I can't provide a link but I read somewhere that those old A6 compressors don't like to cycle on and off. I believe the POA eliminator cycles the compressor. That is sort of like expecing your grandpa's plow horse to run a race with Secretariat. Or Secretariat to pull your grandpa's plow. Both horses are really good at what they were bread to do only I wouldn't expect one to do the other's job.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
70cst

[QUOTE]Convert you POA to work with R134a.
Read this:
http://www.autoacforum.com/messagevi...&threadid=7567[/QUOTE
]
Thanks mrein3...
That is very good info.

Last edited by 70cst; 09-22-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
GSFMECH
On the road

Yes the POA eliminator adds a switch to allow it to cycle. The A-6 has no problem cycling or at least I've never had any problem with them. GM changed the setup in 73 and eliminated the POA anyway. They cycled using line pressure after that. I think they used the A6 up until about 80 or so. I have ran mine several years cycling and my compessor is a cheap rebuild bought from Auto zone in 95. I first converted mine to 134A in the mid 90's and I can promise you the POA eliminator was the single best thing I ever did to it. To keep the POA you will need to reset it for the proper operating pressure to work with 134A. BobbyK has a good write up in the FAQ but I think he used a Sanden compressor with the stock AC.

Mike

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote