The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
sweetthing69

problem with local company

Has anyone one else had any bad dealings with DC Truck Parts in Vancouver, Wa?

I had a really bad experience earlier this year and its time I got this off my chest because now my baby is completely undrivable. I bought my '69 GMC swb already lowered with known cut coils from a really great person I met through craigslist (a private party). It had the usual clunk in the front end which didn't effect the way it drove just was there on sharp corners. After driving it for 14 months the rear leaf springs started to seperate so I decided with my tax return to go ahead and rebuild the front end, new rear leafs, and possibly exhaust work. I didn't have the time or the tools to do the work so I got several quotes from shops and picked the one I thought was best due to the knowledge of that era of trucks and what he promised could get done and in the time frame. He quoted me $1500 for a front disc brake swap, swap rear leafs for a coil springs, all new parts (tie rods, bushings, rotors, pads, ball joints, wheel bearings, and coils)..all to be done in one week. What happenned is I got all used parts (100% was badly used and spray painted to look new so upon inspection looked ok), they cut my exhaust off 2 feet behind my header collectors and threw the exhaust in the bed, took off my rear bumper refusing to put back on claiming my existing hitch receiver was in the way, and then charged me $1700 total and would not give me a receipt for work done. I had to go to another shop to have my exhaust put back on for another $100 for just labor. They did put my bumper back on after I threw a huge fit that I drove it in there legal that it fit fine before and it should go back on, he kept refusing but instead insisted I cut the hitch off which with time restraints I agreed to...it took 2 full weeks instead of the agreed one week. Another cost I had to endure was the extra cost of rims and tires which were new and they wouldn't put the beauty rings and caps on I had to do it when I got home...and someone stole my chevy bowtie antennae ball.

Just since April my rotors have a super bad groove in the back, the pads are down to the rivets, the passenger side wheel bearing is growling and froze up, the ball joints are loose and sloppy, and both front tires are showing cords. He won't stand behind any of his work and refuses to acknowledge he did shoddy work. I now have to put another $300 in parts into the front end and $150 into tires just to enjoy driving it again. This was my daily driver for 14 months solid with not one problem just some typical old truck clunks and now since doing what I thought would be an upgrade I had to stop driving it after 3 months and haven't driven it since the beginning of August (school aged kids have a higher priority then fixing it) and I have resorted to driving my freebie 92 Tercel which I really don't like.

Has anyone else had bad luck with this company? I have never in my life let someone else work on my trucks and this was my last time, lesson learned.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Re: problem with local company

Man that sucks big time. I personally would take legal action against the business. They have to have recorded the milage when the vehicle went in and take that vs current milage to alther shops they should give statements of the probability if the work was done correctly or not. Maybe just the threat of action will get your desired results. Sounds like one bad shop not a reflection of the repair industry as a whole.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Hmmm, Dave has always treated me fairly but I've only bought parts from him and never had him do any work for me. In fact, he's the only guy that actually has the odds-n-ends that I seem to need for my truck. All the more popular classic car parts places never have the parts in stock.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Old 09-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I dont know for sure but I feel it will be a tough battle without proof he actually worked on it.

is there any board members who can help him get back on the road safely?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Sillyoldman

Have your lawyer send him a certified letter. Even if you dont have a leg to stand on a good liar (i mean lawyer) cant create a document that will have them begging you to correct the problem. I've done it before and for about $100.00 its been money well spent.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
sweetthing69

He was fine with all the odds and ends prior to this, afterwards I had avoided going to his shop and just relying on luck on finding parts. I ran into him at the U pull it wrecking yard I was polite with my game face on and when he asked about the truck and how it was running I told him I can't drive it anymore due to the poor work done and I could tell the shock that I wasn't happy. I figure whats comes around goes around and he will get his in the long run.

Wish I had the time to take legal action against him knowing it would probably help me get it fixed. I thought it was strange when I requested a receipt and was denied one. I had a friend who fixes up s10's and 'burb suspensions offer to help with redoing the work but I am so gun shy now, I know my friend does great work on other rigs and uses only new stuff.

Thank you for your input and advice I really appreciate it
Old 09-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
dcdave

This is the owner of d c truck parts this is the frist I heard of any problem I saw them at u-pull it thought they acted strange. I said bring the truck back I'd fix it. As the used front disc I gave a quote of 2100.00 they said they had 1700.00 can I do it sure just used parts they were fine at the time with that . as for the wheels they bought used off craigs list the guy sold them as truck but they were car I tradeed my trucks wheels for there car witch I still have no need 'there in a cornrer of my shop. The exhaust I cut I told them I had to cut because I convered the rear from leaf spring to coil spring all new coils I didn't even charge them for my labor on the rear I came in on a sunday for 6 hrs did the work my self they dropped there truck off on wed picked it up on tuesday then they did not have the money I let them make payments and let them take there truck home How many shops let people do that plus when I was working on there truck I let them take my 1968 long bed truck sure she washed it it was really dirty All I know is if any leagal action should be taken is slander towards my name and buniniss I never knew they were unhappy they never said a word to me never called or stopped I stand by all my work If you talk to me I'll anserwe if you Don't I can't mind read thank you
Old 09-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
sweetthing69

I wasn't slandering your company in any way if I was you would have heard about it before this trust me.

As for saying I had 1700 to spend that is crap I said I had 1500 no more and that was it and that was the reason I didn't have the total amount upon picking up my truck. I have gotten quotes for repairs to replace everything you did and it was half as much, 900 to 1100 from very reputable shops, parts alone are 300 total...still wondering where the rest of my hard earned money went? I am not rich by any means I was working as a lunch lady at the time making $8 and hour now I am a customer support and tech person for rv towing equipment making $11 an hour, which is better but with 3 children (2 teenage daughters and one 7 yr old boy), daycare costs, 50 hour work weeks, and my other halfs company going down the drain..I think I do pretty good with my money oweing nothing to anybody (everything I own is paid for) so it is a rare thing for me to owe money to someone.

Yes I got to drive your 68 in the mean time which I spent 6 hours on thoroughly detailing which no one asked me to do I just did it out of kindness and filled the tank upon return, also helped do a test drive with your customer and talked to him about it which sold the truck.

I didn't stop into your shop to say anything because I knew I would just get shot down with you saying that work is done sorry no dice, what was the point then I assumed best not to even try that route. The best way this will get resolved is to let my truck sit until I acquire all the parts piece at a time and fix it myself, probably won't happen til next year if I am lucky. So for now it sits broken and undrivable.

I still stand firm that this would not have happenned to my truck if I would have left good enough alone and lived with the clunks of an old truck.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #9
dcdave

Again I say I stand by all my work! If there was a problem and it was a part I installed I would fix it. But you never even Called or stopped be to let me Know about a problem you were having, I'm not a mind reader I never knew you had a problem Intell I saw you at the u-pull-it yard Again I said bring it buy What is a Game face ? I never asked you to stop by my shop you came in under your own free will your truck had so many problems with it the rear end was shot the front drum spindles were shot who ever installed your new rear bumper put over your hitch to were it dented your tailgate you came back I cut your hitch off at no charge reinstalled your bumper correctly the way you said I threw your exhaust in your truck I placed it in nothing was thron at your truck ! you claim I had your truck 3 weeks it was 7 DAYS including the week end wed thru tue I know this because I and the poor me thing YOU came to me find a above bors shop that does conversion work for less money plus let you make payments when your credit card get declined plus let you take your truck still the exhaust thing I'm nota exhaust shop when you convert a leaf spring truck to coil you can't reuse the old exhaust I said it from the verty start you would have to take it to a exhaust shop.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
sweetthing69

At U pull it you never once said to bring it by that is a load of crap to begin with, game face is I was being cordial and not making a scene. As for my rear end being shot it wasn't it was the leaf springs seperating from the prior owners doing a backyard lowering job and my spindles were just fine on the front end and a good swap would have been a posi rear end in exchange for my existing posi rear end. I attempted to take it to an alignment shop right afterwards and they wouldn't touch it due to the existing parts you installed being in such bad condition. As for the exhaust being reused it wasn't part of the initial deal and I did reuse my exhaust but had to pay for their labor. The parts I was to be getting were to be new, which was my understanding of this whole deal. My rear bumper there was no problem and you know exactly who put that on, I know my hitch was not right but it was fine and I really didn't want it cut off. Time frame was I dropped it off on a Tuesday and it never got touched for one week then the following week I finally got to pick it up on a friday, 10 days later.

The original quote you gave me which made up my mind was $1100 and you went over that by $600 dollars, which by Washington State law for shops is to not go over 10% of the original quote amount. The reason I didn't have all the money is I told you from the start I only have $1500 total to spend not expecting you to go over that. What also happenned during this time is my 95 Cadillac STS took a crap and needed $500 worth of work which in turn forced our hand to purchase a new vehicle, a 91 Landcruiser. Also during this time my Grandmother passed away and I had to deal with her estate.

I never brought it back due to just knowing how you treat your customers and I would just get told sorry used is used, like the sign on your wall, never known you to stand behind your work. Guess I will live and learn to always get a written quote prior to work and to sign everything and get a receipt. We can go round and around on this but I still feel screwed no matter what because I know you won't stand behind any of the work you did no matter what you say.

Last edited by sweetthing69; 09-28-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #11
dcdave

Again if I knew there was a problem with your truck I would have fixed it .Again you know the tailgate was getting dinted by the shottie install of the rear bumper. I never cut off hitch's at my expence if not needed ! Your stock rear end was NOT! a posi rear it was a wore out 373 open non posi I installed a 308 non posi rear. Again If you would have just brought your truck back when you discovered it could not be allined I would have fixed the problem . I'm not a mind reader ! this all could have been avoided instead I get phone calls from good people on this board concerned about my shop being slandered by a convused person that does not know how to make a phone call or stop by to ask a question about the work I perform this is crazy And yes I said at u-pull it i said bring it by my shop.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #12
sweetthing69

I'm glad people are calling your shop but thats not my problem. And no I am not confused I am upset that my truck is not drivable. You never said to bring it by the shop...I have a witness to that and we both stand by the fact you never said to bring it back at any time during this. I will not let anyone touch my truck again most of all you because I know you will not fix what is wrong with it.

The rear was a posi unit and only a 3.73 and I am not happy over the fact I got a higher gear non posi. My tail gate was dented in the rear prior to me owning the truck which I was aware of and even with the bumper being in its proper location it still hits my new tail gate.

We can go around and around about this and the fact is I am not happy with the work done and NO you will never get near it again. I don't care if anything comes of this I just really needed to get this off my chest. I know you are just trying to save face now. Prior to this posting you only posted 4 other times on this board and only to sell things, so don't play the I'm an active member of this board card it doesn't work that way.

ps....I know this is getting deleted soon, so be it I had a feeling it wouldn't last long.

Last edited by sweetthing69; 09-28-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
dcdave

Smile Re: problem with local company

Again If you would have came to me in the frist place I would have fixed it being that said true I never said I was active on this board only one person called me about your post! I'll gladly take back my non posi 308 rear and give you a 373 because 308 are gold and 373 are non wanted in todays high fuel cost. but good luck finding someone to work on your truck on the i'll pay you on friday or give you a bad credit card !!! blah blah blah I'm done with tring to please a unhappy person so say what you will just make sure you coments are true not made up lies to slander me .
Old 09-29-2007, 01:11 AM   #14
sweetthing69

Sorry but I don't lie about anything like you saying people (that would be plural) are calling you only to find out its only one person. No worries about getting someone to work on my truck because NOBODY will be touching my truck except ME. Yes I am unhappy and if I really wanted to slander your business I would put a sign on my truck and park it on the busy road I live on and really have a good time with it, there are a ton of haters in this area trust me. I will keep the pos rear end that killed my power and upgrade to a 3.73 next year, when you drive something this old gas mileage is not a concern as it isn't my main concern.

Your way too defensive for a girl just being dramatic and spouting lies. I don't lie it gets you no where in life all you end up doing is chase your tail trying to save face like what you are doing. This is the end of it I definitely feel better knowing I made you as angry as I have been the last 7 months.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
1967extcab

Sounds to me like you have a communication problem, first you said he won't stand behind his work then you said you didn't stop by to talk to him about your problems with the truck hows he gonna know somethings wrong cause you never talked to him about it. So instead of trying to take care of the issues you had you instead posted on here and whined and try to talk bad about his shop, you should of gone to his shop and worked it out. And anyone that knows anything about these trucks knows that exhaust on a leaf spring truck and coil spring are different and need to be modified. And as far as the rear bumper it sounds like an inexperienced person put your bumper on origionally cause if the bumper creasing your tailgate its on wrong and up to far, some hitchs have to be removed or you have to cut up the license plate pocket then it looks like ass.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #16
sweetthing69

Got the shop helper in on this now when he never came near it or ever said two words to me. The bumper still hits my tailgate now even after it was supposedly mounted correctly, looks even worse now with the huge gap there. The license plate pocket is not cut up in any way, so I have no idea what you are talking about. My truck is still better off then the beat up things you all call trucks that are way over priced there.

I don't have a communication problem the only problem I have is I already know I would have been told to go fly a kite like customers prior and then talked crap about them behind their back.

I'm done you can call me dum, dramatic, whatever I don't care I feel justified in starting this thread.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

sounds like a pissing match to me....which isn't going to accomplish a thing.

take it off line.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #18
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

This has degraded into nothing more then a pissing match. To post a review is fine, to use this site as a means to slander is not. I am not taking sides, but I am not sitting back watching this anymore.. we have had several complaints about the posters in this thread. Please review the site rules before posting again. They are here for more then just to look pretty
Closed Thread