The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
68MoneyPit

starting place

where did you guys start your frame up builds? Frame, susp, drive train, body, then interior last ? I am almost completely torn down and I cant hardly wait to get to the body but I know it is probalbly not the best decision.
68MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
BCOWANWHEELS

Re: starting place

in the rder you wrote. frame first then you can start reasembly as you do the pieces
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
71tahoe

Everything will eventually boil down to what's your budget.

If find it easier to break it down to bite size pieces and don't get overwhelmed. Start the big items like frame and cab but save some little projects that you can complete while you wait for funds or parts. Getting the low hanging fruit will give you some sense of accomplishment and you can see steady progress. For instance, clean up the a-arms one week and rebuild the carb the next while working a little on the big items.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
68MoneyPit

I don't have much to do with the engine and the trans. I have a suburban with a tbi 350 with vortec heads and a 700r4 trans. Neither need work. The only thing I have left on teardown is to disassemble the bed. I don't plan on leaving any two parts left together. Everything will come apart and either be cleaned and repainted or it will be replaced. I don't have a big budget, but there is no big hurry either. I am a realist and I know it will be a long time before I drive it, but I refuse to take short cuts. I want to make sure I do it RIGHT.
68MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
heavy71chevy

well it all depends at how fast you want to get it done really...theres a couple factors that matter in the equation i reckon..first how much money you want to spend..what mods you want done and what all you have in mind for it...i started with the body on mine as a first priorty mainly cause thats the area that needed the most attention...after i get that squared away i intend to swap a cheap engine into it and rebuild the stock 350.then ill move from that to the suspention and the interior..i like to save the inside for last that way it dosent get all messed up from dirt , grease and grime...you have to really decide whats best suited to your needs
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote