The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
outlaw_69

duramax?

It would be so so so sweet. After i get this corvette done, do i dare atempt? duramax in a blazer? the duramax transplant is getting pretty popular in the diesel power mags. Just how hard would it be? If i do it, i plan on spending around 7000 - 8000 on the blazer, so i can concentrate on the engine swap rather than fixing rust. Please talk me outta this lolol.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: duramax?

go for it - i am planning a Cummins 4bt conversion myself. I have thought of a few different alternatives, but just cant justify the weight and expense of the D'Max swap. The Cummins 4 lets you retain your original driveline and tranny combo (provided its in good shape) and if anything, weighs less than a small block. If i were building an old 2500 series truck, a D'MAX would be awesome, but it would hurt the versatility i want for my particular truck.

There are a lot of diesel forums out there that potentially have more info about these swaps than i have seen here on the boards, so it helps to spend a slow afternoon doing a bit of homework on the swap (i think the t-case output shaft for the front diff is on the wrong side with a stock Allison tranny, among other things)
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
earl87gta

If some one would come out with a wiring kit so that you didnt have to use the stock dash it owuld be a lot easier. Eain from extream 4x4 post over on pirate maybe you can get hiim to help you with what wireing is involved. if its a 4x4 you will need a ford front end so that it is a driver side drop. also ita long combo around 7ft total.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
SmokeShow

There's all sorts of options... I've been digging around and planning this same swap for a loooong while now. I finally have the logistics and the truck, now I just need the engine.

Yes, the allison/transfercase combo drops on the wrong side for these old GM trucks. HOWEVER, there is a company making a billet tailhousing (at a premium I might add) that will allow you to put virtually ANY transfer case behind the allison transmission.

You could also elect to go with a well built 4L80/4L85 transmission and companies make adaptors for them that allow you to use a transfercase that drops on the correct side for this era of trucks.

What I'm getting at is, you don't HAVE to swap to a Ford/Dodge front axle. It's just an option you have if you want to keep the allison and transfer case from the duramax-powered truck.

While there aren't many companies doing wiring harnesses for these yet, there are a couple of options that I've found. One is PPE (Pacific Performance Engineering). They did the biodiesel Impala conversion on the Pimp My Ride show. What they do is modify a stock ECM and wiring harness to fit the needs of your conversion. This is likely the route I'll go IF I don't find a complete donor truck.

There is also at least one company that I know of that has a stand alone ECM and wiring system for the Duramax engine. That's bound to make things a touch easier.

I say go for it if the funds are there. These Duramax engines are absolutely incredible and very versitile even when pushed to high HP (500+). This is due to the nature of being electronically controlled. You simply turn the power down by switching the programming (tune) in the ECM and rock on at half the power it had just a moment before. Need to smoke (pun intended) a Mustang real quick? Turn a switch and you are right back to 500+rwhp and 1000+rwtq ready to go. And I mean it is THAT instantaneous on the power jump. You literally go from 350rwhp to 500+ as fast as you can turn a switch. Just phenominal IMO.

Good luck. Shortly I should have a build thread going for my 83. Follow along or do it before me and I'll follow along with yours.

C-ya

83 GMC K30 Crew Cab Short Bed
06 Duramax & ZF6 (to be installed) and more to come...

Last edited by SmokeShow; 05-23-2008 at 04:26 PM.
SmokeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
ponjohn

Which diesel mags have better duramax coverage?
ponjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

not sure why you would want to when gas is a full $1 more per gallon... just my opinion though
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote